Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Creek

weedcatcher

This might be a very dumb question, but I need to ask it anyway...

Are there fish in Fish Creek? I don't mean in the Bow River along Fish Creek Park, but rather in Fish Creek just downstream from the Tsuu Tina Reserve. How about in the creek that runs by Priddis? I think this is still Fish Creek, but UPSTREAM up the reserve, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

As kids we used to walk down to the bridge by the ranch, catch grasshoppers and thread a hook through them and cast them out and get lots of trout, of course this was before I started casting with a fly rod. Also remember watching guys bowhunt for white suckers in there.

Colin

Fish Creek does have quite a few trout in it, even in the city. Access to the area above the reserve is limited, and the headwaters are in the off-highway vehicle zone around McLean Creek, so unfortunately it is always running dirty up. I have caught a few cutts up there, usually just before the weekend when the water's as clear as it ever gets. I'm planning to fish here in the city sometime soon, just to see what there is. I have seen little trout from the foot bridges.