Fly Fusion Forums

Concrete Driveway Spalling

My driveway has been literally falling apart for a few years now. My home was built 6 years ago this June and I had plenty of issues that I won't bother with explaining now. The original driveway had issues with breaking up and spalling right away. Had Beattie Homes out a few times and they eventually sand blasted and created an exposed aggreagate look. I think this compromised the original driveway more as it was not intended for exposed ag.

A friend of my wife owns a concrete business and says there is not much to do when you get the spalling.

I guess my question is, after all this time is there anything or any route I could try to get this fixed???? Alberta Home Warranty???....... doubt builder will do much unless forced.

Anyone have any experience with this or related issues ???

Thanks

I'm more of a wood guy but here's what I can tell you for what it's worth.

There are some pretty great products around these days as far as high density toppings. Some are more traditional cement based products while others are more plastic resin type toppings. The major drawback to this type of stuff is cost because it is quite expensive but can produce some very good results. Most are designed to cover poorly finished flatwork or slabs that are just plain old and worn out. Most of it would be classified as decorative but is hard wearing stuff.

I would certainly ask to see a portfolio or get addresses of past jobs to check out what kind of work they do as just like the original finishing that was done on your driveway this stuff could turn out just as bad.

Concrete is a pain and you only get one shot so it's worth it to find a professional.

Thanks Dube

Phoned new Home Warranty and was out of luck as cement is not load bearing anf only covered for 1 year. Going to move a few underground sprinkler lines and mark out another 24" to widen with some concrete blocks for the time being. I need the width for the new trailer. Will look at tearing out the old crap in a few years and form up a new one then.

Thanks

Walker,

Try to find out what company placed the concrete and who supplied it. If it is as bad as you describe they may give you a deal on the material if you re-do it. Concrete issues are easy to diagnose if you spend the cash for a core sample and the lab time. Concrete gets harder with time and spalling is usually the result of improper finishing, too much water, or it froze before it cured. Hey you never know if you can get the suppiler out to look at it they may do something. Removing the old pad and re-prepping will be the majority of the cost with a re-do.

You mention that the builder did sandblast the concrete. When the builder did this they were admitting it was a shitty job or material. Unfortunately this may have been the time to push them to replace it. How long ago did they do this?

I don't know a heck of alot about concrete but from the spalling driveways i've seen, there's no room for the concrete to expand. properly done, concrete should have cuts to allow for expansion and contraction as it heats and cools. Could just be poor quality concrete as well.

Hi Andy

It was a finishing crap job for sure. I was even thinking that there may have been multiple pours and the cement was inconsistent. I am no pro but do know it was their error not mine. They asked if I drove on it after install. Not for 3 weeks. Then they said salt....... I said look at the other driveways next to mine. Were their vehicles not picking up salt in winter??????

The sand blasting was done 4-5 years ago. Thinking I may pick up a can of sealer and see if it will hold the bad spots together for a while but not very optomistic on any long term success.