Fly Fusion Forums

Echo Spey

Has anyone tried out the Dec Hogan model Echo spey rods? Anyone in calgary dealing in Echo? I am looking for a good value big water rod for BC steel and salmon and happen to be a big fan of Dec (Passion for Steelhead is great reading for anyone who hasn't read it), and hear that the rods he helped design are outstanding. I will be new to spey casting as I am obstinatley(Sp?) holding out as a single hander, which I will continue on the smaller steel waters and all trout waters, but I am definately excited to start piling out some spey casts for the Skeena system, etc. So, any advise, or knowledge on steel sticks and reels would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone tried out the Dec Hogan model Echo spey rods? Anyone in calgary dealing in Echo? I am looking for a good value big water rod for BC steel and salmon and happen to be a big fan of Dec (Passion for Steelhead is great reading for anyone who hasn't read it), and hear that the rods he helped design are outstanding. I will be new to spey casting as I am obstinatley(Sp?) holding out as a single hander, which I will continue on the smaller steel waters and all trout waters, but I am definately excited to start piling out some spey casts for the Skeena system, etc. So, any advise, or knowledge on steel sticks and reels would be greatly appreciated!

I have not cast one, although everyone I have fished with who uses them loves them. TFO has good value as well and in also generally well received.

al

The Decho rods are pretty decent beginner rods because they're quite forgiving. I've only cast the 4 and 5 weight versions so I don't know how the longer/heavier line weight versions that you'd want for steelheading compare. Make sure to try before you buy and take a look at the line recommendations from Echo to make sure it's lined properly before you test it.

A 6 weight might be a little too light for steelhead and salmon.

A 6 weight would definately be much too light for BC steelhead. I will be looking more along the 8/9 weight 13 1/2 foot range. We blew up a couple 8 weight single hand rods on the Babine last year when the chinooks were grabbin. A friend/prominent guide up on the Babine advised nothing less than 9 weight. I've got a G Loomis GLX 8 weight 10 footer which has been standing up just fineand he told me that if I came out with him I'd have to bring a heavier stick. Any one have experience with a reel that is up to the job? I've been fishing Ross CLA's on my Loomis and haven't had problems, but apparently some have been known to blow up on very big fish (30 lbs occasionally). I was advised that experience up there says Abel is about the only thing that seems to stand up, but if I start buying Abels I won't have any $ left to actually get in the number of days I am hoping for this fall/next spring.

The Decho rods are pretty decent beginner rods because they're quite forgiving. I've only cast the 4 and 5 weight versions so I don't know how the longer/heavier line weight versions that you'd want for steelheading compare. Make sure to try before you buy and take a look at the line recommendations from Echo to make sure it's lined properly before you test it.

Interesting. Although I will be a spey beginner, I have heard through reviews that the Dechos stand up with nearly anything, and really aren't just a beginner rod. If so, I may go for something else as I am not into buying rods that I will grow out of in 2 years. I suppose I will just have to try one out for myself before purchasing. I have a 9 weight Echo 2 single hand around, it works well, although I only use it as a back up rod. I just ask about the Dechos as I hear they are premium rods at a good price.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the Decho is only for beginners - lots of skilled guys seem to love them. They're a medium action rod, so not quite as difficult to learn on as a fast action rod. In the end it comes down to personal preference for rod action though, just like it does for a single hander. I'd suggest trying to make it out to the next spey gathering to try a bunch of different setups.