Fly Fusion Forums

Danvise By Danica?

DrBullet

I have used the Danvise (I have the model with the pedestal base) now for 4 years and have been quite happy with it. I use it to tie flies from size 20 to size 2 and although I do not make extensive use of the rotary action I do find it helpful at times to be able to turn the fly in the vise. I must however confess that this is my first vise and I do not have a history with other vises to compare it with. So far my only complaint would be that the jaws are a little too soft and the tips of mine have bent outward ever so slightly. I would also say that this vise does not have tons of room behind the jaws for tying--generally quite enough but every now and then I find it could have some more room.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a danvise and all in all I think it is a great vise for the money. Like someone said earlier, the jaws are a little soft and they tend to spread over time, but a friend who has the same vise sent an email to the company asking if he could buy some replacements and they sent him a new set at no cost. I don't know if they still do this, but it was one of the reasons I decided to buy one. My only other issue, and it could just be me, is that I find the shape of the vice a little awkward when working on the rear portion of smaller patterns. Oh, one other thing, if you get one and you happen to get the C clamp model be sure to install the little rubber dots on the inside of the clamp. Without them the vise has a tendancy to slip.