Fly Fusion Forums

Sjw

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest JayVee

I was at Fishtales today and noticed they have several new varieties of worms. I've caught plenty of fish on a plain jane wire-wound San Juan Worm but never anything on any other variety. I've tried chenille, BH wire, BH chenille, BH chenille and wire and all in red and tan. Do you guys have success with these?

I usally also run just a plain old wire tied worm (20 gague electrical wire) but there have been times that I have run the other types of worms and have had good luck with them.

I like the wire wrapped worms because of their weight and they make a great anchor point, that way I can run something like a unweighted caddis larva and then to some type of emerger (unweighted of course) and get great success with it.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Wire is the best IMO. I cant wait for rainy day when i can use my sham-wow worms! The solftness of the material is great once it gets wet.

ive fished a few dozen different worm varients easy if not close too 100 if u count with or without beads... i like chenilles for lightweight rigs and wire for heavy rigs...... dotn matter waht kind of red material u put on a hook.. it will work!

I used to always fish the standard large red line wrapped SJW without giving it much thought. Worked fine in the warmer weather but didn't have much luck in the fall/winter. However this winter I tried going light with a #14 & #16 chenille and she worked like a bitch. I have a feeling a chenille SJW on a hopper dropper will be the ticket in the summer. Max is right you need to consider the weight/size needed.