Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro Shop Balzac

Since I live close by to this store I dropped in last night to have a look see. Once you get over the WOW factor as this store is huge and it feels like you are in the forest and shopping with the animals. It's three stories high and has a huge tank of native Alberta fish. Oh my. But then when I found the fly fishing department the WOW factor disappears as it is about the same size as the one at Wholesale . In fact the two areas look very much the same in design (So who copied who?) and that's when I realized that the marketing people of Bass Pro didn't think that fly fishing is as important as Bass fishing here in Alberta.So someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember the last time I caught a small mouth or wide mouth bass here in Alberta! There is more tying supplies at Fish Tales and more rods to choose from at the other local stores. So I guess I'm a tad bit disappointed about Bass Pro giving us fly fishers such a small attention and I can only hope that they realize that we do have a lot of fly fishers here too. Although the lure lunkers and bait chuckers are certainly in heaven at this store just not me!!

Since I live close by to this store I dropped in last night to have a look see. Once you get over the WOW factor as this store is huge and it feels like you are in the forest and shopping with the animals. It's three stories high and has a huge tank of native Alberta fish. Oh my. But then when I found the fly fishing department the WOW factor disappears as it is about the same size as the one at Wholesale . In fact the two areas look very much the same in design (So who copied who?) and that's when I realized that the marketing people of Bass Pro didn't think that fly fishing is as important as Bass fishing here in Alberta.So someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember the last time I caught a small mouth or wide mouth bass here in Alberta! There is more tying supplies at Fish Tales and more rods to choose from at the other local stores. So I guess I'm a tad bit disappointed about Bass Pro giving us fly fishers such a small attention and I can only hope that they realize that we do have a lot of fly fishers here too. Although the lure lunkers and bait chuckers are certainly in heaven at this store just not me!!

I highly doubt Bass Pro Shop scouted Wholesale Sports and said "hey, let's copy them! They just got bought out so obviously know what they are doing." From my experience, Bass Pro does a very, very good job of market research. I would be willing to hazard a guess that if you compared the number of spin fishermen province wide to fly fishermen the selection of gear at Bass Pro reflects that.

Also, almost all fly shops I know of are smaller, intimate shops. That is what I think they are trying to mimic-a more intimate shop, just inside a behemoth. If I had a fly shop I would try to keep it a bit smaller to ensure each customer in the shop got personal attention. I'm going to try to make sure my sales staff talks to the guy looking at the $800 Sage rod as opposed to someone looking at an Ugly Stick.

All that said, my fly shopping will be at Hanson's and Fish Tales. I may go check out that new shop today down south however.