Fly Fusion Forums

Streamers

Do like articulated streamers or single hook, long shanked streamers, What sizes and patterns do you like?

How about leader and tippet sizes when throwing streamers?

Not sure if it is legal (being south of the border), can you use a dropper? When you nymph, one hook or two? :peesout:

Most of my streamers tend to the long shank end of things, buggers, green matukas, and double bunnies are favs. W buggers, matukas are standard size but my double B's get pretty big, think pike size lures.

Up here droppers are legal, and effective. When nymphing close 3 flys, if trying to reach a little further out I'll drop it down to 2 or maybe 1.

Coming up for a float?

I use the biggest tippet I can get away with. Never ever less than 3x for even my small streamers.

Most of my streamers are clouser style... sparse and zonkers (tied upside down). I prefer the short shank hooks as I think there is less leverage cranking the hook in the fishes mouth. Never use stingers, most takes are head strikes or a blow (side smack to stun the bait?) and then a head strike. If I get a hit but no immediate tug I let the fly drop then begin frantic/erratic stripping.

1/0, 2, 4, 6, 10 are most of my streamers, the 1/0 clousers being 4-6in long.

Colours match naturals or red and attracting/aggression inducing colours.

Much of what you are asking depends on equipment setup, target species, location, etc...

Why not provide some background.

Save some cheddar and pass on leaders and tippet - el cheapo old mono is great as long as it has some strength left, stiffer stuff (stronger lbs) will allow a little more space in between fly line and fly without knotting up on the cast. I know some guys here go with as little as 3 feet but with some the old mono I used for pike I can get 5 or 6 feet on without messing up the cast (Other than on spey, I only over-head cast streamers a few times a year on an annual pike trip so casting these fat flies is not something I do without any skill or grace what-so-ever, but what I describe works for me) On spey I'll use alot more variation in set up - oh yeah, and on pike I do use a 8" metal leader between the fly and mono

I would agree with harps, there are some real experts on streamer fishing here but you'll want to give a little more info if you want specifics in return. G'luck

I always fish a trailing unweighted micro leech or small wooly bugger behind a weighted streamer. Use 8-10 lb maxima rather than a leader. With this rig you can strip and swim it as you would normally do with a streamer, and dead drift the whole rig through the slower water and deeper holes.

Well, I am from Montana, about six hours from you guys, in between the Yellowstone and the Madison. I like to chuck big articulated streamers here with my 7 wt. with a sinking tip. I haved learned to chop my 2X leaders down to 4 feet long.

Straight mono was the way I learned but now that I am get better casts with a leader. Yea, I do like a stinger sometimes but don't like the fowled hook ups. I sounds like three hooks is legal for you guys?

I am a big fan of black or olive, some lead on the body, deer hair head, rubber legs and bar bell eyes. And all the other body parts. I am also a big fan of our verisons of the Bow River bugger with a bead head dropper. Size 2, 6 X long.

We passed through Calgary on up to Edmonton and back last summer. I have always heard great things about the Bow and other waters in AB and BC.

No plans as of right now to visit but all it would take is one of my fishing buds to say lets go!

Do you guys streamer fish year round? I like to but I must say nymph fishing can be productive.

Do you guys ever make it to Montana?

Streamers are good year round, but like you say... nymphs are more productive. I also don't fish straight mono anymore... I think a tapered leader even a short one will turn the fly over better and help with those presentation casts.

Dave Bloom in Craig showed us a great tapered leader to tie up... it turns big flies over.

I like Montana, and hopefully will get more time down there this year. I never got your way this season, but I made it further west in Montana for a week. You're in a pretty amazin' piece of property... I've fished my way down to W. Yellowstone a couple of times, that scenery is unbeatable!

If you were in Calgary you should have stopped and fished the Bow... its Alberta's only fishable river, but its a good one.

If you were in Calgary you should have stopped and fished the Bow... its Alberta's only fishable river, but its a good one.

You are right, I should have. Instead I slept in and had another of your fine beers :drinked:

Wow, a lot of good topics on this site. The reason for the methods kind of questions is I read about using 3 weight rods, by the sounds a lot of them and then the other end, 12-13 foot speys and bigger?

Just trying to fit in with my home made 7 weight.

What are you all eating to have a fishery like you do below a pretty cool major metropolitan area? It is a great accomplishment for the stewards of the river.

No plans in the near future to come up, maybe sooner if the Canadiens come back to town!