Fly Fusion Forums

The Bow And Our Economy

If you quickly walk down to the Bow underneath the community of Cranston and downstream slightly you might be able to ask the guy with 2 rainbows and one brown (so far), all well over 35 cms, sitting dead on the bank. Today at noon When I explained that what i saw on the bank of the river was illegal, when I explained the regs, and explained to him what would happen if he was caught, it didnt seem to matter as he kept fishing with a nice looking apex with 2 trebble hooks on it, clearly not interested in how to release fish. He even offered one of his fish to me to take home to the wife for dinner. I declined.

Sadly, our river is overrun with individuals who either dont care to educate themselves to the rules, or play ignorant and purposley break the rules to feed the family.

DUe to the fact that I seem to run into poachers 50% of the time I am out, I have now vowed to keep a laminated copy of the Bow River Regulation page in my vest so i can do my part to educate those who just dont know. The others, those who choose to play ignorant, I hope you get mercury poisening.

Carlo Dabroads.

I got to that spot (or at least a spot near Cranston) at 4:00 p.m. and saw no sign of anyone (or any fish blood and guts), other than one fly-fisher walking out. He didn't seem to happy (was it you?) but if there was somoe poaching going on, I can understand the foul mood. Saw one other guy upstream but he was flyfishing. *EDIT - oops I was there on Friday the 20th*

I've been fishing the Bow since 1995 and I had the best 3 hours on the Bow that I can ever remember. Not a fish under 20 inches and one brown so big that I won't even say how big it was on here, 'cause i'd be called a liar (I did get a pic with a reference object in though!). I have to thank rickr for pointing me at the right fly in one of his posts.

I really don't think poaching is having much effect on the Bow. I do think it is wrong, and what bugs me more is when you explain the regs and people don't care. I've only seen two groups poaching in the last few years (though I've seen plenty of evidence, including getting tangled in about 75 yards of 30 lb mono with three snelled hooks at the end of it last summer). I called it in both times, but neither group was caught. If you don't call it in, you can expect that it will continue. Keep the card and call it in is my recommendation.

Why don't we just start a new thread for the Summer. Unlike the "Get togethers" section, make it specifically for sharing rides so us guys with Pontoons can float on a regular basis. I know that i never once floated the Bow because i was to cheap to pay for a shuttle and my wife doesn't get amused when i ask her for a pickup :)

Maybe call it "Pontoon Floats and Rides"

Good way to meet people on the board, share some info, and save some much needed $$$$$.

Just an Idea.

skagit2hp.jpg

Now, I think that's a hell of a an idea. No wife to pick me up and lost 2 fishin partners to the economy. 4 boats and 4 guys and fit in 2 fullsize trucks. I'll be looking for the thread.

Cheers, chronie