Fly Fusion Forums

Caddis Larvae

Keith

Yeah it doesn't look that bad actually. Knowings half the battle, GI JOE!

Yeah, I think I'd do some things differently, I think it has a few too many segments and is a little on the thicker side, but just to get the idea!

Yeah it doesn't look that bad actually. Knowings half the battle, GI JOE!

Yeah, it's really not a super hard pattern. They can be tied fairly quickly if you get yourself set up and into a rhythm.

Another question....Oliver says he ties his Ryac no smaller than a 12, what sizes do you guys tie the ryac and hydro in for the Bow/Alberta streams?

I tie the rhyacs on 12s. I used Partridge czech nymph hooks which are a big 12 and then I tied them also on regular 12 scud hooks. I also tied a few on 14s.

The hydros I did 14s, but will also do some 16s.

• 1 month later...

There is also a nice hydro pattern in a great book called: Fly Tying for Begginers (http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tying-Beginners-Failsafe-Flies/dp/0764158457/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1240950596&sr=8-3) This is one of the books I found very helpful when learning to tie.

If anyone is interested in the hydro section, I scanned it in for another FFC member and can send you if you PM me.

Also, quick question for folks. I've tied a variety of the flies discussed here, but have a quick question. Does anyone find a major difference in the amount of takes of a simple pattern (e.g. two colors of dubbing (body/thorax) and some flash) vs. a more complicated pattern with legs, etc.? I've had luck on both and just wondered if there is a major difference? My guess is perhaps later in the season when they are more picky???

Here's an example of one of the more simple patterns I was discussing. Its kind of like an x-wing caddis. Super easy to tie (about 2 minutes) and effective.

Hook: scud, 12-18

Clamp in your hook. Secure thread to hook and wrap 3/4 of hook (leave enough hook to set into the fish). Tie in 6-10 short (2-3") pieces of midge flash (I like root beer). Tie in fine copper wire for ribbing. Dub on light olive nymph dubbing. Wrap 3/4. Wind your copper ribbing and secure. Pull midge flash over back of dubbing and secure. Make a few wraps on top of midge flash while pulling back to end of hook and trim for wing effect. Finish dubbing with darker dubbing (e.g. dark olive). Wrap and done! You can vary this by adding a bead head, weight or different colors of dubbing. Not sure if its a "pattern" or not. A buddy of mine had something similar last year and just adapted it to meet my needs. There likely is a name for this, if there is I'd love to know! If not, I'll set to work on finding a name.

Sorry about the poor photo. I'm still getting used to the new camera and photoshop: whole new world for me!

post-2769-1240959039.jpg