Fly Fusion Forums

Marryat Reels

Conor

Yup. Smoooooooth as a baby's butt, when they worked. They are the Swiss watch of the fly reels, unfortunately all those fine, precise bits and pieces tend to be a bit finicky, sort of like a 1960 Austin Healy. Tinker with it all week so you could use it on the weekend. After two years, sold it.

j

I don't know. I can only see it referred to as a braking mechanism. I imagine it is disc, as there is lots of talk about the Marryat disc drags on the website. It has a one way clutch, which is a bit different.

Also, the spool is sold separately from the frame. I didn't realize that at first. Pushes it to a high end price. Oh well.

Most sites say call for pricing, probably because people are often confused about the spool being separate. I think the baby goes for around $300 or so. I saw $170 for the frame and thought it was for the whole deal. Their other reels range from $300 to $900.

I don't think there is a dealer in Calgary. This company sells them mail order. Someone on the forum recommended them for for a vise before.

http://www.thornesmanufacturing.com/index....ogue&Cat=98

Some show up on ebay sometimes, too.