Fly Fusion Forums

Welcome Message, Fish Handling Tips Etc.

It's been a while since I've read the welcome message so I cannot recall it's contents, does anyone know if it offers new links of useful content to the new fly fisher? I ask because being relatively new to this hobby I can still recall reading things here or learning things on the water with new, more experienced fly anglers, that I realized I had been doing horribly wrong on my own when fishing alone. Fish handling is one of those things. I think it might be handy for someone (I would be happy to volunteer) to put together a list of useful links to the beginner fly angler they could read when they join the board. I know I'm getting a little short watching pictures of hypoxic fish up on the rocks or ice but I cannot help it's because people do not know any better. I know I certainly did not at one time.

al

If you ask me I think there is nothing wrong with educating people about these things, but in my own opion I think it has to be done in a intelligence way. Some of the recent posts I have seen for certain indivuals have really bother me, cause it comes across as beeing a ***hole or Elitist.

There are times I've thought of setting something up like this but the problem is it will get contaminated with useless nonsense posts. To do this effectively the thread would have to be closed and pinned.......which means no one can post to it except admin and/or mods. If someone would come up across a useful link it would have to be sent to an admin/mod for addition. This would be the only effective way to create what is recommended short of a dedicated site.

Perhaps threads something like this could be set up but it would require admin approval and setup. If this is something you would like to see let us know.

Just a suggestion:

Maybe it could be pinned at the top... Like a FAQ for newbies. I think this could be very useful for a lot of information. I think there would have to be someone willing to collect the information from other threads and then consolidate the information and not the fighting so that it would be useful. I think a lot of peoople would like something like this to refer to if someone created it.

Guy

There are times I've thought of setting something up like this but the problem is it will get contaminated with useless nonsense posts. To do this effectively the thread would have to be closed and pinned.......which means no one can post to it except admin and/or mods. If someone would come up across a useful link it would have to be sent to an admin/mod for addition. This would be the only effective way to create what is recommended short of a dedicated site.

Perhaps threads something like this could be set up but it would require admin approval and setup. If this is something you would like to see let us know.

I was thinking something like a friendly FAQ or pointers to great static content like MTB's C&R paper (http://flyfishcalgary.com/catch_and_release.php). There are also some other frozen threads in the same section which would be great reference material.

Hmm, too technical you think? There is a thread there started by Brent which I thought was pretty good as well.

No, I meant all the infighting. Locked threads usually didn't end well. I just had an image of a newby reading any of the fish handling threads and watching us yell at each other. "Welcome to the site! How do you like us so far?"

Kind of like an intro to spey casting being one of the "I don't understand this spey casting thing" threads.

Anyway, it was meant to be funny. Didn't work apparently!

No, I meant all the infighting. Locked threads usually didn't end well. I just had an image of a newby reading any of the fish handling threads and watching us yell at each other. "Welcome to the site! How do you like us so far?"

Kind of like an intro to spey casting being one of the "I don't understand this spey casting thing" threads.

Anyway, it was meant to be funny. Didn't work apparently!

Got it, yeh well you have a point. The article from MTB is static though, not a thread hence no dialogue.