Fly Fusion Forums

Just Some Thoughts

We've been doing a little house cleaning here lately. One of the things I came across ths a copy of the fishing regs from 1981. I thought I would thumb through them to see what has changede over the years. The first thing I noticed was simply the size of the regs. I guess there wern't as many rules back then, the regs fold up to the same size as a provincial road map. Inside I saw that it cost a whole 5.00 for a yearly liscence for a resident,12.00 for a non resident who was not a canadian. Rick, you would have been OK, a resident was defined as someone who makes his home and is ordinarily present in Alberta.

when I got to the various regions, I noticed that all of the tributaries to the right downstream bank of the Crowsnest River were closed from April 1 1981 to March 31 1982. Hey wait a minute, isn't that a whole year? From April 1/81 to May 31/81 the Bow river was closed from bearspaw Dam downstream to Bassano.

I started to look at some of the Alberta Angling Records and wondering if any of these records still stand today.

A 12 lb 14 oz Brookie was caught in 1967.

12 lb 5 oz Brown trout caught in 1939'

8 lb 15 oz Cuttie caught in 1950

25 lb 13 oz Dolly Varden ( I know, Bull trout now but identified as a Dolly varden in the guide) caught in 19474 lb 7 oz Golden trout in 1965

16lb 7.4 oz Rainbow caught bin 1975

52 lb 8 oz Lake trout in 1929

there are lots more but I'm running out of steam.

Another interesting thing was the possetion limits. You could keep up to 5 Dolly Varden,5 Arctic greyling,30 perch,10 Pike,5 Walleye2 Sturgeon/year10 trout in lakes and 5 in streams with a few exceptions at certain locations.

All in all, it was an interesting read.

Murray