Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Fishing Book

The guys that do the Backroad Mapbooks, also published a series of "Fishing BC" books, one for each of the following regions: Okanogan, Kootenays, Thompson-Nicola, and Cariboo. Of course the Mapbooks themselves have a lot of fishing information, in addition to other recreational info. Their website is www.backroadmapbooks.com. These books are not on a par with the Trout Highway book -- more like the AFG, but they are very worthwhile having. Terry

Posted that question on the Fly BC website awhile back.. got this response:

QUOTE (birchy @ Apr 18 2008, 01:42 PM)

One more question.. does BC have anything like "Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide"??

The Musso brothers produce a series of map books that cover a fair portion of the province and they have one on the Kootenays. That is pretty much it.

BC Outdoors used to produce a map book that covered the whole province, but they gave it up a couple years ago. I did a lot of the work on the detail but you can't cover the whole province in one book and make it anything more than general information. They dropped the ball when I suggested a more highly detailed bunch of map books. That was 3 years prior to the Musso Brothers and the rest is history.

About all I can add is that almost every stream in the Kootenays has trout in it. It's just a case of doing a litte searching to find the better ones. Nobody is going to tell a stranger about access to his "pet stream", unless the fishing guides are already offering trips there. I won't write about a system until the guides start working it. Then it's public information.

So pretty much what Terry said..

The above books are about as good as it gets for a single source book. We usually end up cross-referencing 3-4 different sources of information all at once to get the job done.

www.fishwizard.com is also an indispensable application once you figure out how to work it effectively.

you could try "angling in the shadow of the canadian rockies" by jeff mironuck. it calls itself 'a complete guide to fishing in southern bc and ab', and while it's not quite on par with barry mitchell's book, it's pretty good. i've read alot of fishing books and nothing compares to the trout highway, that book changed my life.