Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boat Air Pressure

cripplecreek

Hey all, just wondering how you tell if you have under ( i know, obviously if it sinks ) or over inflatted a pontoon boat? Is there a gauge that you can hook up to check or do you just go by feel. With the changing temperatures throughout the day the pontoons seem to sag and expand. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

I usually just go by feel. I'm not sure what the "proper" pressure is.

I jump pump it up fairly firm, stick it in the water for a few minutes to let it cool off, add a little pressure and then check it every once in a while as you float. Inflate/deflate as needed.

The sun can really add some psi/pressure when you pull up on the bank so I do watch out for that.

The downside is I'm always packing a hand pump around. I haven't found a good reliable battery job yet. I have the "inflation station" job from Canadian Tire and it works ok, but when the battery dies yer screwed.

Hope this helps

I believe mine is reccomended at 3 psi - but whatever....

I push firmly with my thumb - should deflect about 1 inch - thats about perfect

My inflation-station batts are starting to die too - I carry the batts on big lakes but for the most part I only use the car adapter now.

Bobr - I considered taking them apart and replacing the batteries but the car adapter seems good enough for me anyway - you should be able to do with a screwdriver, super glue and a soldering iron if you were so inclined - an electrician here told me I could put in better quality batts that should last for years and hold way more charge - just some thoughts...

Thanks for the response guys.

The one thing I was'nt doing (and it makes sense now that you pointed it out Bob) was after initially inflating, to put it in the water to cool it off and then re-inflate it. I would just get on and go ( to eager i guess).

Bill

Never thought of changing out the batts for better ones, duh. Good idea, I’ll have to try that. Thanks!

While I like the space the battery pump saves, I've screwed myself over before thinking the thing had a full charge.

I float the Bow mostly, so I just pull off and give'r a pump or 2. :blink:

Not sure how that would work on a lake tho, my luck I'd twist the valve full open and do my own little Titanic impression....

Yeah, I've jumped on and paddled off only to find myself darn near sitting in the water after a little while. Not to mention it's a biatch to maneuver the thing.

One thing to be careful of.

I think I may have screwed up one of my valves by leaving it inflated for too long. I was going to go out one day and changed my mind, so I left it inflated in the garage for the next day kinda of thing. What could it hurt, right?

Came out a day or so later and one of the 'toons was at 1/2 inflation. This was only 3 or so weeks ago. If I remember right it wasn't terribly hot like now but still fairly toasty and I think it blew the valve. I thought I had released enough pressure to ensure that wouldn't happen but maybe not. Now it only holds @ 1/2 pressure. Anything more and it bleeds off.

(Luckily, I called WaterSkeeter and they just shipped me a new bladder, no questions asked, no hassle. Even though the 1yr warranty is probably up. I haven't got it yet but if I do someone's gonna get a nice Thank You letter.)

Just some thoughts.