Fly Fusion Forums

Elbow River City Section In The Winter?

birchy

Has anyone had any success in the winter on the Elbow between the Glenmore Reservoir and the Bow?

Elbow River

from Glenmore Reservoir downstream to Bow River

CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30

June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31– Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.

I'm itching to go out today but my wife might need our vehicle. I'm thinking I'll either get her to drop me off on the Bow somewhere or I'll walk to the Elbow..

I walk my dog down near Sandy Beach almost every day and have only seen one angler there all winter. Watched for about 20 minutes, and he didn't have any luck. As you likely know, that stretch seems to freeze completely over during the really cold spells, then open up when we get a break. I'm not sure if that impacts the fish or not. I'd be interested to hear how you fare. Good luck!

Guest Sundancefisher
I have never fished it in winter, but have seen fish rising in it mid-january on a warm day to midges. This would have been more downstream near talisman centre. Tell us how it pans out if you get out.

I have electrofished the entire stretch from the dam to the Bow... Looks like someone is buying the drinks!