Fly Fusion Forums

Does Anyone Still Offer A Rod Guide Epoxy Service

CrisD

Years ago i built a couple of fly rods and you could take them down to Dennis at Auclair rod building to get the guide wrappings epoxyed. To avoid the mess and air pollution in the house it was definately worth the 20 or 25 bucks to get the epoxy work done on the line guides. Are there any rod building guru's out there that still provide this service? Thanks

:wave_smile:

Hate to admit it but the finish part of a rod build is the part I absolutely hate. I love turning grips, reel seats, prepping guides, wrapping, feather inlays,ect. But when it comes time to do the finish, arrrgghh!! I'd rather poke my eyes out with sharp sticks. For me it is the most time consuming part, (3 coats at 2hrs per coat) not sure if it is due to my perfectionist nature and how the slightest little spec on a wrap will usually result in me completely stripping the rod and starting over.

Its definitely not a service I'm considering at this time, besides I'm sure there's not a lot of folks out there that would pay the $25.00 per hour that I'd have to charge to make it worth my frustration.

Colin