Fly Fusion Forums

Breathable Wader Repair

DJH

I have a pair of breathable waders that are starting to leak around the crotch. Not from any hooks, thank goodness, just wear. Are there any good spray on sealants out there that a guy could spray on the inside that would make'im like new again?

Thanks!

There are repair instructions on the Simms website. They provide instructions on how to locate leaks. Seams can be coated with aquaseal if that's where the leaks are. Also, I use layered method alternating aquaseal/reinforcing material/aquaseal to make really durable patches. I've used denim and nylon as the material. There is some additional bulk doing this.

Patches do not breath. It's a small issue until the waders become more patch than original.

If you are using aquaseal, make sure you put it on the inside to avoid those ugly aquaseal smears on the outside ;-)

P

I think those aquaseal smears give your waders character :) . Even if you don't agree with me on that, patching on the outside is somewhat better for the same reason it's better to patch a foundation leak from the outside. You want the hydrostatic pressure pushing the patch against the waders (outside) rather than trying to push the patch off the waders (inside). My 2 cents worth, Terry.

Yeah, you might be right Terry, but it looks god-awful (character or no character) ;)

I think those aquaseal smears give your waders character :) . Even if you don't agree with me on that, patching on the outside is somewhat better for the same reason it's better to patch a foundation leak from the outside. You want the hydrostatic pressure pushing the patch against the waders (outside) rather than trying to push the patch off the waders (inside). My 2 cents worth, Terry.

• 2 weeks later...

If they are Simms, do not repair seam leaks yourself! Send them back to them to repair them, otherwise you can just about toss your warrenty in the trash. Otherwise, I've had good luck by mixing Auqa-seal with tolene to make a more liquid paste (basically store bought flex-cement) and paint it on the suspect areas. You could also buy the flex-cement in those little bottles if you don't want a mini version of Sarnia Ontario on your residence! Tolene is very flammable, toxic, and I believe a possible carcinagen, mine is out in the garage.