Fly Fusion Forums

Home Of The Bow River Broonies

speyghillie

Thought i would post some pictures of Loch Leven as i am there attending some Fly casting Instructor Clinic's for the next 2 months.

The little Island in the distance is where Mary Queen of Scots was held prisoner... wonder if she fished Dry Fly in the Summer evenings.

The Scottish Champions list includes PD Malloch, who made some great reels in Perth a hundred years ago, and they still work great today.

post-335-1231270123.jpg

post-335-1231270162.jpg

post-335-1231270188.jpg

Hi Max,

Looking at some of the big browns posted on the site, they look like Ferox, that gives me an idea for a fly to swing when i get back, an old pattern desgined for ferox fishin behind a boat, kinda like bucktailing , but would like to swing one a cross da Bow.

Will look for the pattern.

Big Brownies are territorial here and dont like other wee browns in there space.... mmmmm, i guess its the same on the Bow ?

Gordo.

Hey Dude,

The broonies i see in some of the pictures have that big ferox head, we only get a few on the Spey with a heid like that, Brownie's here are really Territorial where as Salmon are quite happy to shoal together until near spawning time.

When i fish Salmon i can hook and land a fish and ten mins get another hook up from the same spot, we never get that with big browns, if you hook a big brown in one pool on the Spey... you wont hook another one and as well move to the next pool if fishing for big browns.

The fly i was thinking of is something like a big bunny leach.

Will get back in the Spring we can get out for a days fishing and try different techniques, see how it works.

Cheers Gordo.

Hey Dude,

The broonies i see in some of the pictures have that big ferox head, we only get a few on the Spey with a heid like that, Brownie's here are really Territorial where as Salmon are quite happy to shoal together until near spawning time.

When i fish Salmon i can hook and land a fish and ten mins get another hook up from the same spot, we never get that with big browns, if you hook a big brown in one pool on the Spey... you wont hook another one and as well move to the next pool if fishing for big browns.

The fly i was thinking of is something like a big bunny leach.

Will get back in the Spring we can get out for a days fishing and try different techniques, see how it works.

Cheers Gordo.

u got it dude. them big ferox run the show and dominate a spot.. if there is another it will be the partner(female) but other than that there wont be another mega broonie anywere close too that holding water...