Fly Fusion Forums

Rookie Steelheader Off To California

I am heading to the Trinity River in northern California for my first ever Steelhead trip. My uncle lives in San Francisco and the river is fishing very well this winter. Trinity Steelhead average from 5-7 lbs with an occasional 8-12 lb. They are a mixture of wild and hatchery fish. Any tips for the rookie Steelhead angler? We are targeting a late February/early March trip with the possibility of taking steel on dries. Occasionally with the warm afternoons of late winter they get hatches of stoneflies and PMD’s, where they catch Steelhead on the surface. Large rainbow & brown trout are also present. Can't wait!

Guest Sundancefisher
If you are fishing subsurface and you think you have snagged a rock...make sure it is really a rock before you try to break it off. Best of luck and have fun

Hopefully it is more fun that most steelheading stories. I just can not seem to get up the interest to cast for 5 days and hook 3 fish and land 1. Even if they are bigger. Large salmon on the chuck can put up a tremendous fight and you catch way more.

I guess for many it is the challenge but so is convincing the wife to let you go away. I thought Belize was well worth the pain and a couple trips to the ocean as well.

Sounds like the price is right. Do they ding Canadian's hard for fishing licences?

Please post your fish and scenery pics!

Cheers

Sun