Fly Fusion Forums

Calling All Household Tropical Plant Experts

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I bought three plants from Green Gate...no bugs obvious and now the plants are chock full of bugs. The main bug seems to be centipede type bugs. Small ones are white...big one darker. Then there are some tropical ants...dam I hate them...last but not least...looks like some kind of little weavil or something.

Anyways...I am past the date to return to Green Gate. They said all I can do is drown them... They all seem very happy to have a bath and therefore it is not working...

Any suggestions? Anyone have any chemicals?

Two plants are different palm types...one a hybiscus. That has small bugs on the leaves.

Help

Sun!!!!!

If you pick out what yo can see and then use a solution of soap and water, that should take down the population. The ratio I have used is 20 parts water 1 part soap (Liquid dish soap). Wipe down all the leaves if you can as well to get rid of the eggs if you see them on the leaves. If they are in the soil, you can top dress with diatomaceous earth. There is a product called tangle foot that may help if this is a larger plant, but I'm not sure if it is safe for indoor use. I would call up Green gate and see if they have any real advise for you.

Easy peasy...

1) Wait till next weekend

2) Place on deck

3) Click here

4) No more bugs

5) Get a silk plant.

Done.

Anytime...

Clive

PS: Washing with soapy water as suggested is likely to help.

PPS: If you purchased it recently I'd be taking it back for a refund.

PPPS: Watch your other plants as these critters tend to migrate all over. Before you know it they will infest your computer. See below. ;)

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

vinegar, soap and water, rubbing alcohol. It sounds like you have either thrip or melee (i have no idea how to spell those two). The ants can be taken care up by dusting the bottom with that white powder from the store. you should wipe down the pot and the water reservoir under the plant with alcohol. Vinegar soap water should take care of the rest with a light scrubbing or mist the hell out of it.

Guest Sundancefisher
Easy peasy...

1) Wait till next weekend

2) Place on deck

3) Click here

4) No more bugs

5) Get a silk plant.

Done.

Anytime...

Clive

PS: Washing with soapy water as suggested is likely to help.

PPS: If you purchased it recently I'd be taking it back for a refund.

PPPS: Watch your other plants as these critters tend to migrate all over. Before you know it they will infest your computer. See below. ;)

You think like my wife... She had that exact same solution. It is just amazing seeing the centipedes walking around under water for 2 straight hours... I really am impressed. I should through a few gold fish in there.