Fly Fusion Forums

Rally For Canada

I'm a pretty typical Canadian. The extent of my involvement in our political process has been to vote for the candidate I choose and either support or complain about their actions afterwards. I have signed a few petitions and written a very few letters on issues that really struck a chord. In other words, I've quietly accepted the consensus decision. Today, I'm going to attend my first ever political rally to protest the actions of the coalition that wants to overturn the results of the last election.

This will be the largest time commitment I've ever given to any level of politics and may be the only rally I ever attend. I expect it will last about an hour. However, I believe the participation in this rally potentially speaks louder than any letter or petition - especially in Canada where we tend to let our elected officials govern.

http://www.canadians4democracy.ca/rallies.php

There were a few speeches, some cheers and boos, some chants, and we ended by singing Oh Canada. The organizers then asked everyone to be sure no garbage was left behind and requested donations to the food bank. The food bank did well. Everything was done in under 1/2 hour.

It was a very polite gathering. Nobody was arrested.

Some people put considerable effort into signs. I saw one sign advocating western separation. Most were anti-coalition or just pro-Canada.

Like me, the people I talked to had never participated in something like this before. There were several thousand people there. The NDP and Liberals have really done a good job in unifying Canadians on this one - against them. I believe it is Canadian to want to win but to accept defeat gracefully.

I found out this type of gathering sticks to a strict schedule. The police provided permission to use the area across from city hall and there was no abuse of this privilege. The organizers started on time and used the time effectively. There was no belligerence exhibited. There was just a general concern that the voting process could be circumvented. We were reminded that the present Conservative party is a coalition. I remember there was considerable open debate and votes by both parties over this union as opposed to the back room, quickie deal announced recently.