Fly Fusion Forums

Bahamas, Anyone Here Have Experience There?

All,

I am looking at a vacation to the Bahamas with my family early in the new year. With the dollar where it's at and the economy what it is the price is going to be a bit ugly. Given this is the case and that my fishing budget for next year is already blown I will not be able to afford any guiding out there. I am likely going to stay on Eleuthra and I will definitely be bringing my gear for bones. Anyone have any experience in the area who can share with me what I might be facing out there? I have fished on my own for bones in Mexico and done tolerably well but I am totally unfamiliar with the conditions in the Bahamas.

Cheers,

al

Guest Sundancefisher
All,

I am looking at a vacation to the Bahamas with my family early in the new year. With the dollar where it's at and the economy what it is the price is going to be a bit ugly. Given this is the case and that my fishing budget for next year is already blown I will not be able to afford any guiding out there. I am likely going to stay on Eleuthra and I will definitely be bringing my gear for bones. Anyone have any experience in the area who can share with me what I might be facing out there? I have fished on my own for bones in Mexico and done tolerably well but I am totally unfamiliar with the conditions in the Bahamas.

Cheers,

al

Look on google maps. Stay where there is a flat nearby. That is your only option without a boat or guide. Make sure the lodge has kayaks to use and that can help. Take along something to make an anchor with, rope, cloth bag etc. so it does not float away should you choose to walk and wade.

Otherwise I research Acklins Island and that is the best fishing IMHO. Stay there and let me know how you did.

Cheers

Sun

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to the Bahamas, but one thing I've learned over the years. ALWAYS take a rod and some flies when travelling. Sure you may not catch any glory fish like bones or permit. Who gives a rat? There will be something swimming around that will swat a well-presented fly. Take a few clousers, deceivers, and some crazy charlie types and fish right out front of the resort. Try all the different types of water you can find and watch for any sign of fish. Also, talk to any of the locals you can. You'll be surprised at guys that don't fish themselves but have a buddy so they know a fair bit, and they usually aren't very secretive. Have fun, and let us know how it goes.