Fly Fusion Forums

Beulah 5/6 Switch

timjorourke

Greetings all,

I recently had an opportunity to cast the Beulah 7/8 Switch rod which I enjoyed immensely. I am interested in trying out the 5/6 and or 6/7 switch. Is anyone on the board casting one of these rods that might want to comment on how the lighter switch rods from Beulah cast?

I have the Beulah 5/6 and it works fine for two-handed casts but would be tiring to use for single hand overhead casting. The matching Elixir line works pretty nicely on it and it will toss a decent trout-sized streamer easily. What are you planning on using it for? If it's only trout on the Bow then I'd stick to the 4/5 or 5/6. Honestly, if you're looking to do a fair amount of overhead casting with it you'll be better off getting a single hand rod and just spey casting it when you don't have room behind you. My primary nymphing rod is a 9'6" 7 wt that I single-hand spey cast and the only time I overhead cast is when I'm fishing dries.

I would use it primarily for streamer/nymph fishing on larger streams. It would be used on days where I was walking tight to the banks in search of new water. I think it would be nice to primarily DH the rod but it would be good to have the SH option for shorter periods of time.

What do you use yours for headscan?