Fly Fusion Forums

Stone Fly Underside

Gil

I've been spending the afternoon playing with new adult stone fly patterns. I've been looking for photos of an adult stone fly from the fishes perspective (upside down) but haven't come across any. Wondering if someone could help me out. Much appretiated....

adult golden stones are more of a tan than a yellow.. from what i have seen.. they have a slight yellow tint too em.. hwat i like too do is tye tan foam patterns and take a yellow sharpy and add a little yellow too em....... same with salmonflies i tye em in grey and add some peach too em.... will dig thorugh my photos and see what i got dude!

oddly enough outta all teh bugs i got stones i ahve the least photos of.... lmao.... gotta get on that next year.....

now this one is a little dark.. i found her floating in teh water.. so she has darkened up form teh early stages of decay...but u can see roughly what u want..

001jpg.jpg

003jpg.jpg

this is a shot of a bunch of males n females mating.. u can see the odd under eblly on a few of them but not full images.. but it should give u a rough idea.....

maxsfishin760.jpg

hope that helps dude!

u can put them in viles with rubbing alcohol but it fades the colors.. i jsut try and snap some decent shots riverside so i can get a decent idea of color.... had a huge collextion once but had the same problem so i said enough and tossed em and started with more photos.....

I had thought about using alcohol or formaldehyde, but figured it'd be a bitch to take pics then, and the color fading.. When they get really fry too they fall apart pretty easy too obviously.. Hopefully can get some decent pics next summer.