Fly Fusion Forums

Something Very Serious

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I am posting this in memory of both of my grandfathers. Both of whom served in WWII. One was a bombadier and the other infantry.

I have my one grandfathers uniform and I look at it now and then with respect and sadness.

Respect that both grandfathers endured such pain and suffering that they never could look me as a kid in the eye and tell me what happened... My grandmothers hinted it was obviously not very good. Also the sadness that they went through it at all.

Then come the total gratitude that without them I would not be typing on the computer with the freedom we posters take so for granted...all the time.

Here you go gramps...may you rest in peace!

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

yup,I think it's the most important day of the year...I tend to keep my poppy in my car too since it always pulls out of my jacket due to the seatbelt or whatever....but I try to drop some money in the poppy boxes.

I always feel bad when I see someone wearing a poppy and I don't have one on....but like the old saying goes it's the thought that counts and in this case the rememberance.

We are pretty lucky to have the freedom we have.

Lest We Forget.

Excellent post. I travelled through Holland with my Grandfather a couple years ago, he was 88 at the time. He showed me many places from when he was in the Dutch Underground, and told me some pretty interesting stories that I'd never heard before. I realized pretty fast that I truly know nothing of hardship and suffering, no matter how bad I may think things in my life may be. He lived in German occupied Holland for the duration of the war, and his stories I will never forget, regardless of how reluctant he was to tell them. How his family doctor was shot for simply dressing an Allied Airman's wounds, how 14 members of his group were gathered up and shot in 1 day. How his Aunt hid a downed Allied airman (from Saskatchewan) from the Nazis. The people that he knew that starved as a result of the occupation, and the overwhelming happiness that he felt when his country was liberated. I had 3 Grandfathers that fought in World War 2, and to wear a poppy with pride is the least I can do to honour them.

I ussually wind up with 20 or 30 in the car each season, can't pass a poppy vender with out buying one.

Both grandfather's fought in France, Italy, and germany. as my son will most likely start his MIlitary career in Afganistan, as a combat engineer with the RCR's.

God bless the Veterans

Teck