Fly Fusion Forums

Marking Bulk Tips

rusty

what i have ibn doing is using a color code system with sharpies....(picked up a 30color pack or sumn liek that form staples sick for fly tying too!) just make a double stripe... colors ive bin using is... purple is 14 blue is 11 green is 8 and brown is 6 then for lengths i use red for 15ft orange for orange for 12ft and yellow for 10 ft so if the tip is blue and orange i know its a 12ft t11... basically the darker and warmer the color teh longer and heavier it is.. bin wokring for me.. got outta hand and made way too many tips in way too many lengths wanting too have one for everything and i figure i am almost there but i really only use one or two for the situations i fish in alberta.. btu if i head out west or elsewere i will be laughin if i need a length n weight..... hope that helps dude!

Hey Rusty,

I just keep a well organized leader wallet but you can also mark them by taking a small piece of paper coloring it and then using something like epoxy (or the loon stuff) to enamel it on by the base loop. Are you looping both ends?

I figured that the Sharpies wouldn't work on the dark material the tips are made from. Will give it a try for sure.

Al, I am looping both ends.

Something I saw recently which I liked was on the fly end the tip you nail knot on 30 or 20# test and then you triple surgeons now on your tippet from there. Fewer in flight tangles and it catches up on bottom less. Also saves you a little work on the loop.

al

Something I saw recently which I liked was on the fly end the tip you nail knot on 30 or 20# test and then you triple surgeons now on your tippet from there. Fewer in flight tangles and it catches up on bottom less. Also saves you a little work on the loop.

al

Tried something like that with one of my Rio sink tips, only I was using an albright knot instead of a nail knot. The mono cut through the coating and slid it off on a bad backcast I think. I've been going with loops made from 2-3 nail knots since. Using multiple nail knots that way might distribute the force so that cutting through isn't as much of an issue.

web.jpg

Tried something like that with one of my Rio sink tips, only I was using an albright knot instead of a nail knot. The mono cut through the coating and slid it off on a bad backcast I think. I've been going with loops made from 2-3 nail knots since. Using multiple nail knots that way might distribute the force so that cutting through isn't as much of an issue.

web.jpg

That is a good point actually I forgot to mention that you double over the tip before you tie on the knot. I fished for two days with salmon on and the rig held up done like that.