Fly Fusion Forums

Positive Dog Owner Experience

So last night I'm at a hole and I suddenly see 2 dogs running right for me. I think "CRAP! There goes my fishing." No sooner did I think this I hear the owner yell and the dogs immediately turned back. They eventually crossed over to me and stood by me but the owner was very strict that they do not enter the water the dogs complied perfectly. He apologized for the hassle, which was none in the end, and left area saying he'd be out of my hair so I could fish. I can't say enough good things about this. There was a post awhile back and thought I would mention this incident. Now if only he could train all the dog walkers down in fish creek. :P (I'm sure there are diligent ones there as well).

PS - Did anyone stop by on a motorbike last night? If it was someone on here I didn't realized you stopped until I saw you pull back onto the road. I would have come and chatted if I noticed you had stopped.

There are a lot of considerate dog owners that are probably flyfishers or fisherman, that are pretty respectful of a persons water. But however to every side there's an opposite that don't think about what there dog is doing jumping into some water that an angler is working.

Mostly I run into the stick or ball trhowers but every once in a while someone shows up like your guy. I was working a nice 21" brown at Southland a couple of years ago and saw a lady and her dog coming up. I thought "Oh great, here goes the risers". She calls up the dog, which responds right away and she comes up close enough to caht. I hook and land the brown and then she says she works for Mustad, distributing hooks in western Canada. So it just reinforced my using Mustad.

If my dog ever sees ya on the river casting to risers - especially anything over 20 inches, he will jump right in beside you and try to herd the fish to you. He's really great that way - will swim and swim in your pool until he scares up...or is that off....the fish. You can feel free to give him a milk bone when he's done.

Kidding....he's learned that swimming in fishy water is a no no. But if you're in the offleash area at Southland where the doggies swim for sticks, I can't guarantee that my well trained dog will not seek you out for a scritchin on his noggin. :lol:

Yah i've noticed theres quite the difference between dog owners who let their dogs run right infront of you and then theres the ones who stop them right away. But lately more seem to stop their dogs before they hit the water, were you fishing in the n.w?

When I'm in the off-leash area I know that dogs are just part of the equation and you have to tolerate them running ahead and coming to visit. What's burns my butt is when the owner is throwing stuff over your shoulder and saying that this is their dog's favorite spot to play. I feel like backcasting right at them and going"Oh that's my favorite place to backcast". I've been restrained so far but.......

On the other side of the coin, there are lots of places to fish, but only a handfull of places to let your dogs off leash. I does hurt though, when you are working a nice riser, and someone throws a tennis ball right on top of them.

Just my 2 cents.

Duncan

flyslinger...omg I've been laughing for like 5 minutes after reading that post. "Oh thats my favorite place to backcast" hahahah thats pretty funny. I'd love to see someone say that.

On the other side of the coin, there are lots of places to fish, but only a handfull of places to let your dogs off leash. I does hurt though, when you are working a nice riser, and someone throws a tennis ball right on top of them.

Just my 2 cents.

Duncan

There actually over 200 off-leash areas in the city, and while most of them aren't on a the river, they are available. The only thing that cheese's me is the rudeness. Like I said earlier, I know I'm going to get visited by the pups and I'm cool with that part. Let's face it, you can only catch fish in the water.