Fly Fusion Forums

Determining The Hatch

I'm starting to really get into this match the hatch instead of trying everything until something works and just wondering how to approach it. My fist thought is a small net, lift the rocks and catch whatever drifts. But how are you guys catching the little flying bugs? By hand, larger net?

Usually I get a good look at them when they land on me, its usually not a serious hatch until you breath up one through you're nostril. As for under water, get yourself a 2' x 2' peoce of door screen and staple it to two stakes of wood. Hold it in the water and have birchy or someone kick up the bottom in front of you and you will get some good examples of some entomology

i have a tiny fish tank net that is some 4" by 8" in dimension. it works pretty well for scooping up nymphs but haven't gotten any fry or sculpin yet.

and it's small enough that it's ultra-convenient to bring to all streams with me. fits in my inside pocket. even brought it with me to Ontario a couple months ago and 'screened' the grand river and it worked well. cost 3 bucks.

for dries i usually try to catch em by hand or, like LK, look at the ones that land on me and compare them with my flies.

i'm trying to get into the habit of screening for 10-15 minutes before fishing but it's hard to resist the temptation to start hauling my flies out there straight away.