Fly Fusion Forums

This Explains It All.

:P

I guess that's what is called "String Theory" eh Terry. ;)

But there is a major weakness in their work as it applies to fly line. We are dealing with a single-end system whereas they were testing two-end strings. So there is obviously another factor involved that causes our fly lines to turn in wads of knots: the Dork Factor perhaps. ;) I've been using furled leader of late (taken off now) and now there is a test of your patience. They are great when they don't mess up, but you can get some serious macrame with furled leaders.

After years of seeing my leader and tippet spontaneously form knots and tangles, the answer is now available in the following link. Terry

Spontaneous knotting of an agitated string

Ah yes there it is! All I need is a slight lineal fractional transformation to solve any Mobius energy issues I may have and thus prevent the formation of any knots!

It was there right in front of my face all this time!!

Thanks Terry, your a genius. :clapping:

wow that just blew my mind. Some people call them wind knots I call them poor casting knots.

X2 on the poor casting knots. I used to spend half of the day untying knots in my tippet and leader and now that I have had lots of practice and my casting is much better I very rarely get a knot and if i do it is minimal and I get it untangled in seconds. Anyone that is still having problems with casting spend a day and walk and wade with one of the experienced guys on the site like I did and I learned alot just watching him cast and he taught me lots about reading the water which has helped me tons in finding where the fish are hanging out.