Fly Fusion Forums

Ice Fishing Flies?

Ok, so I know ice fishing isn't fly fishing and no-one really wants to start thinking about the ice and snow but this one's been on my mind. There are a lot of wire-worms and stuff out there for ice-fishing but there's got to be something better that guys are tieing up? There also has to be some guys on this forum that understand the entomology of stillwater in the winter right?

For instance, do waterboatmen run around during the winter? Is there a pattern out there people have used in the winter? What about leeches? Or caddis? What about dragonflies and damsels?

So, as you can see, lot of questions with little answers. Let's pool all of our knowledge together so that I can reap all of the benefits this winter. Win/Win right?

Cheers

Ok, so I know ice fishing isn't fly fishing and no-one really wants to start thinking about the ice and snow but this one's been on my mind. There are a lot of wire-worms and stuff out there for ice-fishing but there's got to be something better that guys are tieing up? There also has to be some guys on this forum that understand the entomology of stillwater in the winter right?

For instance, do waterboatmen run around during the winter? Is there a pattern out there people have used in the winter? What about leeches? Or caddis? What about dragonflies and damsels?

So, as you can see, lot of questions with little answers. Let's pool all of our knowledge together so that I can reap all of the benefits this winter. Win/Win right?

Cheers

I 've only thought about it but I would imagine leech patterns would still work. They are in the lakes year round and are a staple food...