Fly Fusion Forums

Few ???'s Calgary Area.

miked

Hey everyone. Gotta few question and inquiries.

I am currently living in Ontario and soon to be heading to Alberta for work. Not certain of anything yet but will be somewhere up in the Fort Mac area or further north. I should have about a week per month off and plan on heading to Calgary and spending that week with family. Needless to say I plan on trying to get out and do at least a bit of fishing during that time off! I plan on having my waders, boots, vest and a reel or 2 shipped out to my uncles but picking up a fly rod while out there. What should i be lookin for in the way of a rod??? Most of my fishing will likely be on the Bow in the city as will like not have access to a vehicle. Also what flies and sizes should i be tying up?? Will be putting together a tying kit for myself to keep myself occupied while in the work camp. Wanna keep things to a minimum and only bring materials to tie stuff i plan on needing.

Thanks for any help and thoughts.

I may also be looking for some on river company while out there! So if anyone may be interested let me know! Especially weekdays as I will mostly be on my own during those times!!

Thanks

Mike

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention. My first time off out there will likely be around early to mid October. So that will be my first journey on the water.

Hey Mike, welcome to the board. If you're looking to pick up a rod here, most guys use a 6 weight, floating, weight forward line. There are several shops in town that can get you into an outfit that will fit your budget. There are also a few guys selling used gear here on the board. As far as flys go, there are a bunch of guys that write on the board that can answer this better that I but, I would tie up some of the standard nymphs used everywhere. Hares ear, Prince nymphs, Pheasant tails, San Juan worms, Caddis pupae,Evil Weevil. Sizes 16,14,12. Colours of black,olive,tan,chartreuse.

Streamers work too. Try wooley buggers, Bow River Buggers, Sculpin patterns, Clouser minnows,try sizes of 10,8,6 in black,white,oliveand maroon or wine red colours.

Murray

Thanks Murray!

I know the local fly shops decently well out there! Fish Tales has always been a stop made usually afew times every time I'm down! Thinking the 6wt will be the rod I'll be picking up. I have a reel already loaded up for a 6wt that I'll be bringing. just dont wanna bother with the hastle of shipping a rod. Long items can really be a pain! loL!!

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike, Yah what was said above. A 6 wt, floating set up is the norm out here, and all the flies listed above are great choices. I love October fishin and I have a truck so if you want to catch a ride around just let me know the days your around and we'll do some fishin, just throw me a pm! Cheers, Donnie.

Guest Outcasts

I would stick to your guns on the 6wt unless you like wrestling alot! Fish tales is THE shop for bow river tackle due to the nature of the employees, everytime you go in there you can tell they would rather be on the river but the next best thing is helpin you get into fish. The only fly i could suggest beyond what has already been mentioned is the golden stonefly with wings, for some reason it always get me into fish no matter the season and as long as your good at nymphin rigs you'll have a blast. Good luck and pm me when you get your time off and i'll see if i can slip out for a float with you.

Thanks for all the help guys! Unfortunately I just found out yesterday that my plans for work out there have fallen through :( so I wont be seeing Calgary any time in the near future.

Thanks for all the help though. I will be keeping all this info in mind. in hope of a future trip sometime.

Thanks

Mike