Fly Fusion Forums

If You Were Me.. What Would You Do?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points.

Do you notice the extra weight associated with the 9'6"?

I had considered it or a 10fter before I got my switch rod, but I wasn't sure if it would wreak your arm after a long day of fishing.

The FLi 6wt 9'6" is 3 3/4 oz. and the 9' is 3.625 oz so its pretty marginal, probably more significant to have a good, light reel but I can't really say for sure. If you are mostly high-sticking and roll-casting, which is mostly what I use it for, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

the 2 and 4wt multis are unreal stick for the price of 300+ ish.. i have 7 multi single handers so far and dig em all.. most of my main single handers and client sticks are loolp multis! buddy has teh 3 wt.. bin diggin em all year for dryflyin in teh bow with the 4 or 5wts and cuttty streams with the 2... would strongly recommend em and holler at brian at whistler fly he will get one out too ya in a few days after ordering no probs!

Hey Birchy or Rickr (you gotta replace that yellow hornet rod) or Whoever,

I'm looking to unload a Sage 5wt, 9' FLi, I've used it no more than six times, for $275, paired with a black Ross Cimarron reel, loaded with line. As for the great debate over Sage, you can't beat hand made quality, these things aren't machine made in factory somewhere in Asia like TFO. I hate to let it go, but I've got too many rods right now. Oh, yeah, my other three rods are all Sage too if you're wondering. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Dan

Okay so I went and casted a bunch at Fish Tales this afternoon... ended up with a Scott A2. 7'6" 3 weight. Casts beautifully!!

http://www.scottflyrod.smashingdesigns.com/a2/index.shtml

And.. as always.. I can't say enough about the service at Fish Tales! Absolutely awesome.

I just picked up an A2 3 wt 8 footer there this morning - great deal since it's being discontinued.

You picked, in my opinion at least, one of the best rods on the market. The F series are also a nice small stream rods. I think you made an awesome choice.

Sweet! :D Chris (Wetduck) said the same thing!

cheeler - I heard! haha. They thought yours was the last one, but they found one more..

My first decent rod was a 5 weight Sage "LE" (probably stands for low-end). It casts like a wet noodle, pretty slow action that can be felt through the length of the rod, which made it great for learning to cast. Despite it's medium/slow action it has some serious backbone, and can handle tossing heavy streamers, big worm n bobber rigs, and it's never had a problem handling 16"+ fish. Also, the thing is a tank, I've put it through some serious abuse and it has held up beautifully with only a few scratches. I 'upgraded' to one of the new TFO Lefty Kreh models (the 4-pieces that run at around $160), and while this rod is stiffer and has significantly faster action, it is noticeably weaker when it comes to fighting fish, and has trouble handling weighted streamers and even hopper/droppers. I think it's the quality of graphite that makes such a big difference between the two rods. I also had a guide break off my 8-weight TFO for no apparent reason, after only 1 season of use. TFO's cast nicely but that's about it - you definitely get what you pay for with fly rods.

• 3 weeks later...