Fly Fusion Forums

Stevia

Hello

Many months ago, I discovered this great sweetener called stevia. It has very few calories and does not trigger the insulin response. (I detest sugar. I wish more people would see it for what it is - a manufactured, purified chemical that the body doesn't handle too well. But I digress.) I like to use the ground leaves, not the purified crystals (There they go again, processing a perfectly good food :derby racer: .) Problem is that stevia has a unique taste. There's not many foods it tastes good with. So far I've found that it makes a great tea and sweetens cranberry juice OK. Has anyone else found a good use/recipe? Do tell. Thanks.

Cheers

I used to use it when I was on Atkins until I discovered Splenda. As far as I'm concerned Splenda is the greatest invention since sliced bread - I use it for everything. There is no aspartame and crap in it and it tastes like real sugar with no aftertaste, no side effects (for me arrhytmias that are caused by aspartame) and no calories. I'll even dip strawberries right into it - it's that good.

Stevia is a plant extract and you will always have some sort of "plant" based aftertaste or hint to it. I know alot of people who use it when it can be cooked off and the taste diluted and not as a sweetener for things like tea/coffee/juices etc. just for that reason.

I used to use it when I was on Atkins until I discovered Splenda. As far as I'm concerned Splenda is the greatest invention since sliced bread - I use it for everything. There is no aspartame and crap in it and it tastes like real sugar with no aftertaste, no side effects (for me arrhytmias that are caused by aspartame) and no calories. I'll even dip strawberries right into it - it's that good.

Stevia is a plant extract and you will always have some sort of "plant" based aftertaste or hint to it. I know alot of people who use it when it can be cooked off and the taste diluted and not as a sweetener for things like tea/coffee/juices etc. just for that reason.

I like Splenda. But for some reason just hate it in coffee. Don't know why, it seems good in everything else.