Fly Fusion Forums

Water Proof Camera Advice

wayne

What waterproof camera does everyone use?

I was looking at the olympus. The 850sw is on sale for $259 and the 1030sw is on for $350 is it worth the extra $100? Is ther any other cameras I should be looking at? I would like to keep it below $300 but could go as high as $400 if needed

Thanks Wayne

I have the Olympus 770 SW and can's say enough good things about it.

As Rickr can attest to, they take a beating and take great quality pictures, above the surface and below.

Under water with the Olympus

wigwam07024.jpg

wigwam07023.jpg

wigwam07021.jpg

As far as which model to buy, the 1030 has more features and I'm a sucker for extras, but if all you want it for is to kick around in you fishing stuff to take pictures of fish above and below the surface, the 850 would do fine.

A camera's a camera and a pixel is a pixel. Some like the Pentax, some like the Olympus. Find the best deal and pick one up.

Guest RedWiggler

Those are sweet pics man MTB :peesout: . I have an Optio and my buddy has a an Olympus, they both take good pics but I find his takes better night shots than mine, actually I think mine sucks at night and I still have not figured out how to take a proper underwater picture. :fishy:

What waterproof camera does everyone use?

I was looking at the olympus. The 850sw is on sale for $259 and the 1030sw is on for $350 is it worth the extra $100? Is ther any other cameras I should be looking at? I would like to keep it below $300 but could go as high as $400 if needed

Thanks Wayne

I do fish mostly mountain streams so I was kind of leaning toward the olympus because of the shock resistance does this make sense? which optio are you guys using? I found the w60 on sale for $320 is that a good price?

I have the Olympus 770sw and the only thing that I don't like about it is, it lacks the interval shooting that the Optio has. With the optio you can have it set up to take constant pictures every 2, 5, or 10 seconds (something like that). But besides that I pretty happy with the Olympus

i ahve the w30 optio and love it.. have friend who have both are they are both sick digi's one things the optio has like LK mentioned is the interval shooting same with a bunch of photo editing/picture stuff in teh camera that the olympus dosnt... same with teh macros way better and easier too do...but the olympus has a better shock proof, does take a better night shot and has a way better zoom if i had too do it again i would probably take the pentax but the olympus does have a few things iwith i had so its a tough call they are both sick cameras IMHO

yeah they have a rapid fire shooting mode for taking multiple shots in sucession, however you have to keep the button down to keep it going. The optio you just set it to the interval shooting, set it up some where and it'll fire automatically for like a min or until the card is full if I'm not mistaken.

My avatar is a pic taken with the olympus night shot on with a full moon for the sillouette (with a bit of color editing)

yup they both ahve the rapid fire functions MTB .. LK is talking about interval shooting.. i use it alot.. u can set it up too take a pic every 10 seconds or 15seconds or 1 minutes etc anywere from 2-100 pics.. so u dont gotta do much other than set it up take the first shot then start fishing.. the digi will take the pic automatically every (how every many seconds u choose) automatically, hten turn itseld off n start back up take a pic and so on and so forth... get some sick action shots that way same with casting photos...

I have the Olympus 850SW. I've bounced it quite a bit on the water, so I'm glad I choose it over the optio. Both are decent cameras for point and shoots. I used it on my vacation and left my D80 at home. If I lost it tomorrow I'd buy another.

2770661903_f786f259fb.jpg

2770658021_566957939d.jpg