Fly Fusion Forums

Banff Area Suggestions

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some suggestions in the Banff area for some hiking, fishing and camping, with fishing being the major objective. I'm not from the area so I have no idea where to start. I live in BC on the island so happy to swap any info or show anyone around if they come out these ways.

A real good friend who I went to Uni with overseas has just arrived in Calgary and he wants to do a trip up to the rockies for a hike and fish and the last weekend of August looks like it is the only opportunity for this summer for both of us.

Time is a bit of a restriction and as of now I will fly into Calgary Friday (aug. 29), we will dive up to Banff that evening and stay in town that night. Then we basically have until Monday (sept 1) which is when i will fly out (evening). We don't have a boat but could be interested in renting one. Any lakes other than Minnewanka?

Ideally we would like to combine scenery with fishing but have no idea where to start. Any recommendations on routes to take, hiking to rivers/lakes, what equipment to bring, and local area flies would be GREATLY appreciated.

This trip has been planned real last minute but I can't wait to get up there, only been to Banff once but the area is unreal. I also read an article on an amazing looking hike in the yoho national park, any decent angling there?

Sorry for the novel, but thanks in advance. Also if anyone local is willing to have a chat the beer is on me.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug,

If you want to hike - most of the spots I know are lakes, and best fished from a tube. The Bow River at Canmore is wadable upstream from Canmore. You can check at the Green Drake Fly Shop in Canmore on where to go - we did that a few years ago and the owner was very helpful. In and round Banff, you need a Parks Fishing Lic (can get them at the park gates), for around Canmore you need an Alberta Lic. Our Alberta rates for our most welcome neighbors from BC are the same as for all Canadians - $22.50 annually, and over 65 fish for free. You'll also need a WIN card ($8 for 5 years). I hear that some provinces charge significantly more for fisherpeople from neighboring provinces, and restrict their access to certain areas - but I find that hard to believe. <--poke--<

If you want to rent a boat - Upper Kannanaskis is a nice lake (really nice views) - about 1.2 hours from Banff I'd say. If you want an interesting drive, take the back road from Canmore (Smith Dorien/Spray Lakes Trail http://www.canmorekananaskis.com/hotels/ca.../kanspray.html) up to Peter Lougheed Park, turn right and follow the signs to the lakes (Upper or Lower). I've had some very good days on the Lower K Lake for Bull trout, but not in the last year or so - too many places to fish, too little time. The Upper used to be predominatly Rainbows, but over the past few years - seem to be more and more bull trout. Anyway - doesn't really sound like you're that interested in a boat. Sports Rent in Calgary rents boats - but they also rent float tubes and waders (or at least they used to). If you are interested in that, let me know - there are a few good, small lakes that have nice hikes to them (Chester and Watridge are two of them).

Doug,

If you want to hike - most of the spots I know are lakes, and best fished from a tube. The Bow River at Canmore is wadable upstream from Canmore. You can check at the Green Drake Fly Shop in Canmore on where to go - we did that a few years ago and the owner was very helpful. In and round Banff, you need a Parks Fishing Lic (can get them at the park gates), for around Canmore you need an Alberta Lic. Our Alberta rates for our most welcome neighbors from BC are the same as for all Canadians - $22.50 annually, and over 65 fish for free. You'll also need a WIN card ($8 for 5 years). I hear that some provinces charge significantly more for fisherpeople from neighboring provinces, and restrict their access to certain areas - but I find that hard to believe. <--poke--<

If you want to rent a boat - Upper Kannanaskis is a nice lake (really nice views) - about 1.2 hours from Banff I'd say. If you want an interesting drive, take the back road from Canmore (Smith Dorien/Spray Lakes Trail http://www.canmorekananaskis.com/hotels/ca.../kanspray.html) up to Peter Lougheed Park, turn right and follow the signs to the lakes (Upper or Lower). I've had some very good days on the Lower K Lake for Bull trout, but not in the last year or so - too many places to fish, too little time. The Upper used to be predominatly Rainbows, but over the past few years - seem to be more and more bull trout. Anyway - doesn't really sound like you're that interested in a boat. Sports Rent in Calgary rents boats - but they also rent float tubes and waders (or at least they used to). If you are interested in that, let me know - there are a few good, small lakes that have nice hikes to them (Chester and Watridge are two of them).

Rehsifylf,

Thanks for the info it's really apreciated. The reason I wasn't too keen for renting a boat was mainly due to keeping costs down, however, I have decided to get my flight out to Calgary on airmiles, so that will free up some money and now renting a boat is something that I am definatly interested in. Also I would prefure to walk and wade but it seems as the lakes outnumber the options there. My friend in Calgary is trying to sort out a car today, but I think he is trying to use his family friends 'compact economy' of sorts so I am not sure if it will have roof rack or hitch. Tubes are definatly an option though I will give sports rent a ring tonight. Thanks again for your input and anything else would be warmly accepted.

I have read some info on this site about the Egypt Lake area, about a 12-13k hike in and a campground and some surrounding lakes. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Doug

I just got back from egypt lake and again it is fantastic but it requires an over night stay and i'm not sure of your time frame. It is a 4 hr hike into the egypt lake camp ground. at the camp ground there is a small creek that has many willing 8 inch cuttys and brookies up to 12 inches. The real gem up there is Mummy lake with many willing 14" cuttys, from the camp ground it is a two hr hike and some of the best scenery banff has to offer. you need a day to hike in get settled mess around in the creek a day to hike to the surrounding lakes and the next day leave. I have gone up slept hiked the surrounding lakes and left the same day but it feels rushed and it is a hell of a push and you will end up in the dark for your hike out. best is up one evening stay a day out next morning. there is a hut there so no tent is required but you do have to book the hut with the parks office in banff and then you can pick up your permit when you arrive in banff. Nice thing about fishing in the park is its cheep and easy.

I've been meaning to take my kids into Egypt for two years now. Possibly will make it in the weekend after labour day - but if not, then there is always next year.

Chester and Watridge are abotu 5 km hikes off the smith Dorien. Easy one day in, fish, out. Watridge used to (and still might) have huge Cutts, and lots of them - but lately seems like the fishing has not been great (see my recent post on this). Chester lake has Dolly Varden and smaller Cutts. I've only fished it twice - the second time, caught lots of Dollys but they seemed to have large heads and small bodies.

Oh - and I understand that the Green Drake Fly shop in Canmore may also rent tubes.

I've been meaning to take my kids into Egypt for two years now. Possibly will make it in the weekend after labour day - but if not, then there is always next year.

Chester and Watridge are abotu 5 km hikes off the smith Dorien. Easy one day in, fish, out. Watridge used to (and still might) have huge Cutts, and lots of them - but lately seems like the fishing has not been great (see my recent post on this). Chester lake has Dolly Varden and smaller Cutts. I've only fished it twice - the second time, caught lots of Dollys but they seemed to have large heads and small bodies.

Oh - and I understand that the Green Drake Fly shop in Canmore may also rent tubes.

It looks like our plans have changed slightly. We just got in touch with another friend from uni who is living in Canmore, so it looks like we will be staying there and using his place as a base rather then hiking the whole time. I've done a bit of research on the Egypt Lake area and it does look amazing, something I'll definatly have to do one day. I'll definatly pop into the Green Drake for a chat and that would be great if they rented tubes. My friend in Canmore is working as a rafting guide for the summer so he might be able to hook us up with a boat of somesort, but does anyone else know anyplace in canmore that rents boats? And if so, anyone else recomend any lakes in the area? I'll have 3 friends from New Zealand with me so scenery would surpase fishing....but only by a small margin.

Cheers,

Doug