Fly Fusion Forums

Leader Material Problem And Questions

Castuserraticus

I carried and used a spool of 6# Stren line for nymphing for about 6 years. It was junked this spring when it seemed to break too easily. In the past 3 days I lost 3 complete triple nymph rigs when the new 6# Maxima I bought this spring snapped off above the top hook for no apparent reason. I tested the Maxima and was able to break a couple of pieces off fairly easily and cleanly. The next section however was difficult to break and stretched significantly before breaking. I carry the leader material in a zippered vest pocket. It receives very little exposure to direct sunlight. The standard tug test seems inadequate. I often give the line a tug test but the experiences of the past week indicates this is not cutting it. I hate having to retie while drifting through good water or while fish are rising.

How do you test your leader material? How often do you test it? How much UV exposure weakens the line? Do lines differ in their UV resistance?