Fly Fusion Forums

Water Levels And Flows And Fish Habitat

syncmaster

Here is a question that i need help understanding

I have fished the N Ram for a nubmer of years - usually mid to late July and always caught 20 - 30 + nice sized Cutts every time. Always on dry flies

I as out there today and the water was lower and slower than I had seen before, my friend managed only to land 2 and had a couple of more sniffs at his nymph.

i had 1 hit and 5 sniffs at my fly all day.

in the flows and pools and other usual spots you expoect to see fish we saw none - other than what we stirred up with the flies and a grand total of 4 others we saw move in the water.

I am wondering that if the water levels get low and temps warmer - would this combination cause the fish to start to migrate? and if so where would fish (such as on the N Ram) they go?

I noticed something similar to this on another larger creek a couple of years ago - similar idea

alwasy caought lots of fish and the one time the water was fairly low and slower and very few fish to be found.

if someone or a fwe of you can shed some light on what happens in this type of case with fish behaviour that would be appreciated