Fly Fusion Forums

Change It Up

Tpetey

We've been floating Policemans to McK every week or two this year, consistantly catching fish from Policemans to the Highwood. Once we get ds of the highwood, ok maybe more than a km ds the fishing seems to go stone cold. Does a guy need to change things up after the highwood or is it just not as productive?

I've done this stretch six times over the past few weeks and agree Highwood down seems rather slow. On the other hand it's usually later afternoon and I'm feeling rather bagged towards home stretch, so I may not be entirely focused. I have seen a number of potential good spots that I haven't bothered to work.

I used to feel that way too - then one night I got a 27" brown there on a streamer. I floated that stretch yesterday and did really well on hopper-droppers below the confluence. That area changed dramatically in the '05 flood, and quite a few of the good spots (esp that big long gravel bar above the power line there) just don't hold trout like they used to.

Those slow, deep banks along those cliffs in three or four places hold a lot of trout behind rocks and structure. Nymphing is not the best way to hit them - you're better off throwing streamers or even dries. The stretch along the corrals is a great spot. There are two or three good nymphing runs in that stretch you can pull over and fish. They're trickier to get at with the water high right now though.

I've always found the Bow to be a river that requires you to switch it up or change sometimes throughout the day as conditions change. Don't be afraid to pull over and pound the good spots on foot. I'll guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised.