Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Up North

ham

Well it was a pretty interesting trip, flew up to yellowknife and then a short float plane trip out to watta for a few days of fishing. It started off with a bang, and by bang i mean the water pump blew up so we had no running water for the duration of our 4 day stay haha. But really who needs showers when your just fishing all day! So inbetween dodging the black bear that like to come through the camp daily and bulldog flies the size of hummingbirds we got some good fishing in. Nothing huge this trip sadly but the numbers were impressive.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008019.jpg

We got to the lake at about 8pm that night, but with the 24 hours of daylight I could really fish untill i was too tired to stay awake haha, so first things first I pulled out the new 6 piece 8wt and casted for some pike off dock. Manged 8 pike in the first 15 minutes. I figured it was a good start so i packed her in a grabbed a snack.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008028.jpg

This shot was just after midnight, still more then enough daylight to fish.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008030.jpg

So the next mornin it was time to hunt out some lakers, we manged to get 16 lakers in the first 3 hours on the lake, more then entertaining haha. So 3 of them were kept for shore lunch and the rest were all put back to grow a few more pounds before our next visit.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008045.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008047.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008054.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008061.jpg

Next day was time to try and hunt some more pike on the fly so I got our guide to find us some nice bays with a little shallower water, because the spin caster in the boat otherwise known as my dad was gloating about how the pike seem to like his 6 inch 5 of diamonds spoon better then my flies...well once we hit the weed beds that changed. I never had any idea pike on the fly in super shallow water could be so much fun, couple quick strips through the weeds and SLAM they would murder the fly.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008078.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008082.jpg

For some reason though none of the pike proved to be very photogenic and didnt make 'er into the photo gallery.

Day 3 we woke up to a choppy whitecapped lake, but none the less we made the 45 minute trip across the lake to get to the river to fish for some grayling, and oh man was it worth it. Once we got the the river my dad thought he was pretty funny when he got 5 grayling in 8 casts on a little black spinner, so he looks at me and says...hey wheres your fish? Well that just started a curse, after those 5 fish he only caught 1 more that day and I more then trippled his numbers I think he should have knocked on wood.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008092.jpg

Time for a new post... i've whored my self and put too many pictures haha

WATTALAKE01JUL2008126.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008128.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008138.jpg

Caught some grayling on small PT, some caddis and royal coachmen

WATTALAKE01JUL2008140.jpg

This "Was" one of dads grayling he caught on a spinner before a monster pike came out of the pool and slammed it right off his line, stole the hook and the grayling. Ill never forget the look on his face when he goes, holy *hit this pike just stole my grayling! I was almost in tears i was laughing so hard.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008143.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008158.jpg

One last laker, caught at approx. 12:23am...still light out.

WATTALAKE01JUL2008180.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008191.jpg

couldnt forget a picture of our friend the bear who made numerous trips to our lodge, just to see who was visiting. When we arrived he had torn one of the screen doors completely off the lodge. I guess he really wanted in there...

WATTALAKE01JUL2008221.jpg

WATTALAKE01JUL2008222.jpg

Tako, some times *hit happens there bud. Not much you can do if a fish inhales the hook and gets it in the gills. I wouldn't really blame him for the blood as im sure all of us have caught fish that have died as a result of being hooked. The best we can ask for is a quick and safe release and im sure this young guy knows that. Then again a little reminder never hurt

Dear Tako...

The grayling with the blood in the water was foul hooked on the outside of gill plate...it put up a hell of a fight before it came in because of this and was bleeding before the barbless hook even popped out. Nothing could be done about that, but thanks for your concern. If your feel like starting an argument over it, hell feel free I knew someone would point it but frankly i didnt care a posted the picture anyways. Pacre none of the lakers were caught on the fly, just pike and grayling. I didnt try, most of the lakers we caught were all caught in 60-80+ feet of water. Having no exprience with lakers on the fly we jsut went with spin gear on that one. next time mabye haha

Great Pics! Did you fly with Air Tindi? I think I recognize the dock in the last picture.

ya we flew with tindi. haha the dog took a hit and lost the barrel on the corner so it kinda sunk under water in the one corner if you recognize it, it was probably in better shape before.