Fly Fusion Forums

Damselfly - Recommendations Pls

kungfool

Hey guys. Tied up my first damselfly today using a variety of olive colored materials I have including:

marabou

duck quills

duck quill fuzzy bottom feathers

a plastic army mans leg

I would love some opinions on how to make this fly better or what other fly is simply better.

damsel_1_1.jpg

damsel_2_2.jpg

Cheers!

KF.. yeah, looks good. Give us a report. My comments are that it is a tad "chunky" ... damsel nymphs are skinny. The eyes might be a tad smaller. Still, they fish won't likely care. Let us know. Clive

Hey guys. Tied up my first damselfly today using a variety of olive colored materials I have including:

marabou

duck quills

duck quill fuzzy bottom feathers

a plastic army mans leg

That is what makes tying awsome!!

Hard Core.

Nice tie.

It looks good to me, but I agree with Dry Fly on keeping them "Skinny". It looks like your's is fine with the marabou and it should be nice and slender when wet.

Don't bother getting too fancy when Tying Damsels like some people do with braiding, etc.

I've found that it's not so much the pattern as it is the presentation with Damsels.

I've gone to pretty much tying in the little set of black eyes, a marabou tail and lighly dubb marabou tapering up the body.

Damsels swim quickly through the water in short little bursts....Kind of like wind sprinting. So when a Trout sees one, it doesn't take the time to find out whether the pattern is a perfect match, it usually justs grabs it.

I love fishing Damsels in the BC, (and Alberta), lakes by casting parallel to the reeds or weeds and stripping it back with short, quick little tugs. When the fish takes it, it takes it hard, so you will want to use heavier tippet.

A damsel tie is usually over done to suit the Tyer, not the fish.

Keep it simple when it comes to tying Damsels IMO.

I tie a very simple damsel. It is killer, as well.

Tie in the eyes (bead chain, melted mono etc)

Tie back a light wire to the hook bend.

Tie in a sparse tuft of marabou about 2x hook length, for a bit of a tail. Leave the tag ends.

Tie the thread forward to the eye.

Wrap the marabou down along the shank with the wire, allowing some roll.

Make a wrap or two around the eye and tie off.

Sorta the same thing I do Conor. Two black beads tie together on a wire for the eyes. Then marabou ... the fuzzy end for the tail, and the rest for the body, wrap it up with olive thread, whip finish, cement, done. Takes all of 30 seconds / fly and.... it was my fly of choice for all of last fall, everywhere I fished.