Fly Fusion Forums

Big Rod Inquiry

Guest bigbadbrent

Just wondering if anyone has a #13 or bigger rod on the forum.....i'm thinkin baby tuna

The biggest I've gone was a 12 for poons in Florida. It was a Scott STS and it could zing out some line. A 13 would handle more than a baby tuna...you're looking at tuna up to about 60 lbs. or more. I'd definitely recommend a foregrip since you need to put a lot of pressure on those big pelagics to turn their heads and pull them up from the depths.

If you can get your hands on an old STS that's in good shape, at a reasonable price, then grab it. You won't regret it. I hear the X2S is a good rod too. I should've sold that rod for more than I did.

James

Guest bigbadbrent
The biggest I've gone was a 12 for poons in Florida. It was a Scott STS and it could zing out some line. A 13 would handle more than a baby tuna...you're looking at tuna up to about 60 lbs. or more. I'd definitely recommend a foregrip since you need to put a lot of pressure on those big pelagics to turn their heads and pull them up from the depths.

If you can get your hands on an old STS that's in good shape, at a reasonable price, then grab it. You won't regret it. I hear the X2S is a good rod too. I should've sold that rod for more than I did.

James

I've heard stories of 30lb tuna blowing up 12's like nothing...thanks though dude

lot of money for a rod i might only use once.....see if i can find a guide that'll do it

Yeah, they're big bucks, especially if you may only use it once. St. Croix makes nice saltwater rods but I'm not sure what they have in that weight class. I've caught tuna that are easily over 30 lbs. on a 12, you just have to play them right. Let the drag on your reel do the work for you and just use the rod to turn his head. Lots of guys seat the butt right into their waste and lift straight up...bad idea...waaaay too much stress on the rod tip. Use lots of side pressure, relax and hold on tight...you're in for the ride of your life.

Having said all that, I wouldn't use anything less than a 12 and a heavier rod wouldn't hurt. If you're looking to buy, you're probably going to spend at least 450 on a rod that's only halfway decent. You're looking at another 3-400 (minimum) for a good reel that won't start smoking and burn up on you.

Where are you thinking about going? I still have some contacts down south that might be able to hook you up for a day or two with a good loaner.

They said a 10wt 15ft Loop Blue (I was gonna steal Greg's LOLOL) would be totally inadequate for the kings they chase ----- 40-60 pounds throw in the odd 80+

I don't care what kinda rodd I gotta use as long as I can fill the air with a huuuuge BEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Guest bigbadbrent

Yellow fins have been known to take 600M of line in their initial run...

surf rods aren't even fly fishing...wheres the fun in that

As one who has fished with a surf rod, I can attest to it's "fun-ness"! Don't limit yourself there young Brent!! ;)

But you are right about one thing, while I'm sure big Kings pull like all get out, and can have lots of current to use to their advantage, tuna are in a class by themselves as far as fight is concerned. They are basically solid muscle. Like comparing a trout to a bonefish. Both are really fun to catch, but no comparing the fight!

That said, I sure wish I was going to Alaska to catch Salmon or South Carolina to catch tuna. Either one will do!!