Fly Fusion Forums

Few Recent Shots From Van Isle.

Doubletap

Just thought I'd post a few quick shots from my last couple of forays out, on Vancouver Island.

cutty.jpg

Wild Cutty from a mountain tarn.

rainbow.jpg

One of the last rivers with pure-wild strain Rainbows on the Island. They don't get all that big, but they sure are feisty and sparkle like the jewels they are.

brown3.jpg

brown1.jpg

Found a new (to me) lake with a remnant Brown population from an old stocking.

IMG_2853.jpg

Mayfly Dun caught triploid.

tent.jpg

Trying out the new camping rig - great piece of kit!

print.jpg

Our only neighbor while camping. Yes, it was large for a Black Bear - but thats a woman's size 5 in comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, and thank you for your kind replies.

Luukesh: I'm using a Canon S3 IS - 6mp with the image stabilization (great for shooting from moving boats, float tubes and in low light). Canon recently came out with the S5 IS which has a few nice upgrades.

Canon S5 IS review.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, and thank you for your kind replies.

Luukesh: I'm using a Canon S3 IS - 6mp with the image stabilization (great for shooting from moving boats, float tubes and in low light). Canon recently came out with the S5 IS which has a few nice upgrades.

Canon S5 IS review.

Those are amazing shots. I have an S1 IS and keep thinking I should upgrade but the pictures that I take with it are as good as I can hope for. The S5 looks sweet.

The variation in brown trout spots has always fascinated me. Even in the same place and time, individuals can look so different. I don't see that as much with bows and cutts. Your brownies seem to have just a few big spots and more gray looking backs.

I have an S1 IS and keep thinking I should upgrade but the pictures that I take with it are as good as I can hope for. The S5 looks sweet.

Yeah, the Canon "S" series are very good cameras. I particularily like the image stabilizing aspect. It takes the vibration out of just about every shot.

I took this one off the aft deck of our lifeboat with twin Cat engines roaring away beneath my feet.

IMG_0339.jpg

Your brownies seem to have just a few big spots and more gray looking backs.

Concur - we have a few lakes and rivers on the Island that contain Brown trout and they all look quite different. From silvery sea runs to these, which are about as dark as I have caught. The lake in which they live is a very dark tanin-brown, with visibility about a foot, looking downwards.

I asked our local fisheries manager about this once and he told me that diet and environment played a very small role in individual coloration. And while breeding condition does change the color and shape of a male trout, the number and size of spots is just unique to the individual.

I also notice from your excellent photos that your browns have a very distinct blue patch next to the eye, and this is not visible on every individual.

Anyway, thanks for the photos, it's been a spring of so little fishing for us.