Fly Fusion Forums

Short Head Floating Spey Lines

ogilvie

Over the past few months we have been working on new spey line designs and head lengths for basically smaller river systems like the Bow. The great debate at the moment is should there be a stepped line transition design like some now being built, a slower short rear taper to the slim diameter running line(One line) or to a distinct Head use with looped connection to a small diameter more slick running line.

You's that fish the Bow would have a better idea of these needs considering the waters I fish here on the Island are typically much faster with a more rigorous dynamic. ...such as the Gold And Nympkish...

Thoughts??

C

aint the difference between a integrated running line and connecting something like slick shooter just that? figre the "slower short rear taper" was just too give a smoother connection.... i think its a prefrence thing....... i like integrated running lines when i am fishing nymphs and streamers while stripped but if i am just throwin bombs n swinging, slick shooter is the way too go IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I personally prefer the integrated shooting/running line, all those loops no matter how smooth just catch in the guides handling a fish. If I understand this correctly one of the lines your proposing would be similar to an Elixir but with a slow rear taper to facilitate mending at distance and somewhat minimize having to strip in a pile of running line every time you cast. A little more presentation oriented would be nice without sacrificing being able to punch out a clouser to the middle of the river. I guess what I'm asking for is a cross between the Elixir and the Windcutter. I bet the guys back east fishing river smallmouth would love this too!

Yeah, Bowcane,...There is something like that in the works...in both Single and double handed lines...there has always been issues with the drastic change from a large ,by comparison, belly to Running Line transition....the best transitions I have seen are or were by Shakespear,Rio has improved drastically as has SA...

C