Fly Fusion Forums

Brownbow, Braker, And Tiger Trout

I just learned of this, so forgive me if its already been discussed, but I thought it was interesting and a bit troubling to be honest. I'm sure well see all sorts of genetic mutations in the future, but crossbreading is never a good thing is it?

BrownBows

n685425672_1301670_116.jpg

Braker (Brown and Lake trout Hybrid)

n685425672_1301671_417.jpg

Tiger (w/ever/tf that is)

n685425672_1301672_617.jpg

Heres some info from the source of the Pics.

You won't find too many brake trout, or brownbows anywhere anymore. Too difficult to make them. Brownbows had problems with cataracts in their eyes. Even with all the other senses, blind fish struggle....

Brake trout are a cross between Brown trout female, and a lake trout male. The problem with these hybrids is just the difficulty of culturing them. Survival rate's of Brake trout were very poor, and the cost/benefit just wasn't there. Production of Brake trout was discontinued, and the last batch of fish were stocked out in 1997. Your only chances for these fish would be at either Mill Meadow Res, or in Porcupine res. Good luck.

Brownbows are a cross between a female Rainbow trout and a male Brown trout. These fish had severe problems with cataracts, which left the fish pretty much blind. Like the Brake trout, Brownbows are no longer produced by fish hatcheries run by the state. They were stocked in Mill Meadow Res. As you can tell by the pictures, Brownbows were very difficult to distinguish from a rainbow trout. Pretty neat fish, but I think there are reasons that they are not produced in nature...

FYI -- the rainbow trout, brownbow trout, splake trout, and brake trout pictures all came from Mill Meadow Res.

Its off a "Utah Fishing Forum", so I'd assume thats where Mill Meadow Res is.

tigers are a brook brown cross...... teh otehr too jsut look fuggled! and i dont think htey could really happen naturally but tigers apparently can at times same with splake.... the talk about the eyes being fuggled is somethin ide imagine has too do with teh fall n spring spawner cross... either way it jsut aint right.....

Guest Sundancefisher
I just learned of this, so forgive me if its already been discussed, but I thought it was interesting and a bit troubling to be honest. I'm sure well see all sorts of genetic mutations in the future, but crossbreading is never a good thing is it?

cross breeding trout is not a problem as per your concern on genetics. Generally they stock in closed water and they are almost always infertile. They just give people something weird to catch or managers figure they are getting the best of both breeds.

Genetic manipulation at the cellular level as in bioengineering plants actually leave a fertile plant that can breed or cross breed with other and thereby passes these new "genetic" traits to other generations.

Sit back and enjoy the splake.

By the way...check out Tiger Fish on the web. They suckers have big teeth!

Cheers

Sun

theres a few lakes in sask around meadow lake that the stock with splake and tiger trout also , I know splake are in a small lake right near keeley lake and if you poke around on the sask fish stocking page you can find where there is more to