Fly Fusion Forums

Ywffc Pennsylvania

Round up a few pictures from worlds this summer and thought I would share them with. I was selected to rep canada at youth worlds the first week of august in pennsylvania. The fishing was fantastic, uch better then the previouse year in portugal i have a report of it here

http://www.flyfishingcanada.net/fly-fishing-canada-youth.php

10 teams showed up England, Canada, USA had two teams, Czech Republic, France, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, and Slovakia.

We fished the little Juniata, Spring Creek, Fishing Creek, and Lake Pereze all found in the State College, PA home of Joe Humphreys.

France took the Team gold, silver was take by the czechs, and Bronze by the English. canada took 9th overall

Indiviual placing:

1st- Frederic Letexier France

2nd- Petr Drastic

3rd- Johnathan Letexier

canadian individuals:

Simon Wells Ottawa, Ont a respectable 11th

John Bransfield Calgary, AB 25th

Mikey Lennox Ottawa, Ont 40th

David Nonomura Missasauga, Ont 50th

Robert Lennox Ottawa, Ont 51st

James Reid Chealsey, Que 53rd

out of 54 anglers, full results here http://www.usyouthflyfishingteam.com/pdf/P...l%20Results.pdf

Heres a nice wild Spring Creek brown for ya

post-393-1212444689.jpg

Team mate mikey lennox with a nice brown

and myself on upper spring creek in the evening, was some amazing fishing, can wait to go back again sometime. Most of the fish we caught on the streams were browns and bows, and a few wild brookies. If you ever get a chance to go i highly recomend it amazing fishing on those creeks. Sorry theres not more pictures of fish, but as we were practicing or competiting trying to catchs as many fish as possible in three hours, every seconde counts.

post-393-1212445006.jpg

post-393-1212445075.jpg

Good on ya for representin', John!

Glad you enjoyed it; always in tough against the Europeans, right?

Do ya think it's because they're used to fishing tougher conditions,

therefore having more tactics in their bag of tricks?

I'll bet they actually gear their fishing more to the style needed to

win championships, as well.

Thanks for posting this, John.

Later,

Steve

In europe countries like, spain and france fish for extremly finiky wild trout, which is turns means they have to adapt their techniques. Longer lighter leaders, smaller flies ect. Lots of practice helps aswell, as they have multiple qualifying competitions, while here in Canada we currently select our team by resumers and refferences.

This year though we'll be fishing a youth team at Canadian Nationals in Tremblant, where there will be a training camp prior to the competition to select a team for 2009's championships. As the championships whent back to portugal we wont be putting out team into the YWFFC this year.

France pretty much dominates the championships though, the Letexier brother usual place top five at their Senior nationals. Which says alot about those two. Although Canada is improving, this year we had two anglers in the top half, both of us chasing the chance of a medal for a little while. The seniors did fantastic down in NZ so i have high hopes for Canada in the next couple of years.

You're so lucky to even go, let alone score as high as you did. Right on. I wish I had been able to get involved with this when I was that age. I kick myself every time I see one of these posts. Nice job.

hahah thanks I only wish I could have done better then what i did, but any ways next year. I was pretty lucky to get involved, it has taken me lots of places and made me a much better angler if i do say so myself. Also the friendships that you come out with is awsome, im going to Derbyshire next week to fish grayling and trout with my coach from 2006. Lots of fun, if you get the chance sometime compete at one of the nationals, its a great way to improve your angling and a good way to get yourself involved in competitions. Competition fishing for me at least has been quite the bug, always trying to better yourself, finding new techniques, new flies its alot of fun. I know this years nationals is a ways away but if any of you get the chance to go to one you really should its alot of fun and you would be amazed at the learning curve.