Fly Fusion Forums

Thuya Lakes Lodge

Yep....several years ago. LOVED IT. Had some pretty quiet days on the back lakes in there in the early days of my learning how to lake fish. I'd certainly go there all over again - it's a gorgeous piece of the world. Lucky duck.

That is actually where I learned to fly fish. My parents used to take us there in the late 70's/early 80's. Then (and I'm sure it'st he same now) there was the two main Thuya Lakes with a bunch of satellite lakes around all of which were a short drive away or you could walk to on well defined trails. All of the lakes had lodge boats on them, so you could just pack your gear (the lodge would provide you with a lunch) and fish the days away.

It was a great place for a kid to learn how to fly fish because you could cast for smaller fish off the dock on the main lake and if you could learn to cast far enough, you would catch one on every cast. There were some massive fish that would aggressively rise to evening caddis hatches there too as well as great nymph fishing off of the weed beds in most of the lakes. As a 12 year old, I caught my first big trout there on lake called Dum Lake. It was a 5-6 lb rainbow - and I'll never forget it.

It was (and probably still is) an awesome place.