Fly Fusion Forums

Taking Poaching To Another Level.

Found this on a Georgia flyfishing forum.

"L.D.W.F. AGENTS CATCH FISHERMEN WITH 909 RED SNAPPER

Release Date: 05/01/2008

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division agents wrote over 100 fishing citations to 20 men on Bayou Fourchon located in Lafourche Parish on Monday, April 28.

Agents stopped the charter boat, "The Captain Charlie", which was occupied by 18 paid fishermen, the captain and one deck hand. Agents boarded the vessel to conduct a creel and license check of the fish and persons aboard. Upon receiving consent from the captain of the vessel, agents allegedly found 27 ice chests holding 909 red snapper.

Agents counted and measured every fish aboard the vessel and found that of the 909 red snapper aboard the vessel, 287 of them were under the minimum 16-inch size requirement.

The recreational limit for red snapper is two per fisherman, and the captain and deckhands are not allowed to possess a limit. Agents also discovered that none of the 18 fishermen were Louisiana residents nor did they possess valid Louisiana non-resident basic and saltwater fishing licenses.

The 18 subjects that chartered the vessel, along with the captain and deckhand of the vessel were cited for 106 alleged violations. The citations included angling without a non-resident basic and saltwater fishing license, federal charges for possessing undersized and over the limit of red snapper, and taking red snapper during a closed season. The red snapper season is closed until June 1, 2008.

The following fishermen were charged:

David Harrelson, 52, Lockport, La., (Captain)

Donald R. Humphrey, 45, Golden Meadow, La., (Deckhand)

Artesza Portee, 35, Austell, Ga.

Glover Jefferson Jr., 69, Atlanta, Ga.

Walter Bailey Jr., 61, Atlanta, Ga.

Robert Kemp, 72, Atlanta, Ga.

James E. Williams, 65, Callaway, Fla.

Clyde E. Raiford, 68, Fayetteville, Ga.

Baxter R. Maddox, 67, Atlanta, Ga.

Leslie H. Durham, 45, Douglasville, Ga.

Cleveland B. Kemp Jr., 56, Conyers, Ga.

Harry Crosland, 67, Decatur, Ga.

Willie T. Epps, 72, College Park, Ga.

Lawrence Kendrick, 60, Atlanta, Ga.

Walter L. Gibson Jr., 38, Union City, Ga.

Warren R. Brownlee, 36, Palmetto, Ga.

Andrew R. Smith, 70, Decatur, Ga.

Kym D. Haywood, 44, Hapeville, Ga.

Charlie W. Patrick 68, Stone Mountain, Ga.

Earnest Sessoms, 79, Atlanta, Ga.

Agents seized the 909 red snapper, which weighed 2459 pounds, and were sold for a total of $9221.25.

For more information, contact Capt. Sammy Martin at 985-447-0822 or smartin@wlf.louisiana.gov."

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/?id=957

James

I sure spent a lot of time around what is now Fourchon. Hundreds of trips with my dad and brother. Can't believe there are still charter captains that stupid. The fines will be stiff, and if memory serves, will be levied per fish over the limit. I hope so. Managing the Red Snapper fishery is a delicate subject. Violators need to be made examples of.

Really quick Bayou LaFourche story:

When I was about 12, my dad, brother and I were making a trip the the rigs about 12 miles (I think) out into the gulf, leaving out of Bayou LaFourche. We were in a 18 ft boat with a 50 HP Merc on the back. It was BLOWING! As we are making our way into the rollers at the mouth of the Bayou, a much larger boat is coming in, waving their arms shouting "Its too rough, go back" Dad replies "It's just right!" We make it out to the rigs, and get on the snapper. Unfortunately, my brother and I get on our knees and chum for the next several hours. Dad, utilizing all his compassion, allows us to stop fishing when we are actively puking. Otherwise, we had to fish (we sold our excess back in those days. Don't judge, different times). We probably caught 200-300 lb of snapper that day. I also probably lost 50% of my body weight!

I hate snapper fishing to this day. Still love to eat them though.

Hijack over.

Rick, I've fished in the area too and this isn't the first charter that I've heard of that has pulled more than its' legal limit out of the water. I've seen those guys catching 2 or 3 times their limits and undersized fish, etc...

James