Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing The Bow In The N.w.??

I'm new to town and also a newbie fly fisher and was just wondering if fishing the Bow in the NW (say around Edworthy Park or in Bowness) was allowed and second if it was worthwhile? I've never seen anyone fishing this area of the river. Thanks in advance.

After June 1, you'll have to make the most of it until the tubers and rafters come. Every year there seems to be more and more of them floating down.

Having said that, I live in the NW, and have a lot of water up there that I'd like to try out, now that I've got some Bow River skillz. B)

Yes there are a few holes & runs worth fishing. Usually later afternoon and evening week days or weekends to avoid rafters and dog walkers (as previously mentioned)... Makes a pretty good float from Bearspaw Dam to Shouldice (~3 hours) Kensington (~4 hrs) and Zoo (~5 hrs) depending on water levels. I reco floating as you can hit some better water and again avoid the people on the banks (for the most part)...

Contact me after June 1st and I'd be happy to show you a few spots and help you out...

Cheers,

Peter

Its different then the lower bow, the fish are more spaced out but the best part is, theres very little fishing competition unless your in the strech directly below the dam.

• 1 month later...

I took the dog for a walk by Bearspaw dam on Sunday and the vis did look a little better than around Southland but the water was still quite high and fast. Saw a guy fly fishing around the pool downstream of the dam but he left before I could get close enough to ask him if he had any luck. I might give it a try one night after work next week, but I'm not expecting much.

I hit it on sunday enening around shouldice got 2 white fish, is nice to fish mid week again.

if anyone is looking for company during the week in the N.W. PM me i'll always try to find an excuse to get out.

Teck

If the weather is right I might hit it monday again.