Fly Fusion Forums

Tfo Rods

looked at a bunch of budget rods this past january, several TFO's included, ended up going with an Amundson Top Fly instead - couldnt have been happier, felt and looked like a higher quality fly rod, always stayed together and aligned and cast a nice loop, check 'em out at FishTales...

My first rod was a TFO signature. I have broken two tips. If anyone had been around to see what I was doing with my rod when the tip broke, they would have cringed. I certainly did not fault TFO. The rod has been good to me and the warranty allowed me to fish the next day. It certainly provides a nice safety net for the newbies and the vets who still treat their gear like crap.

I used a TFO lefty 5 wt for 3 years - it is now pretty tired (noticably slower than new) and I didn't know guide wear was warranteed (did I read that right ?) but this rod is still a solid caster. I find beginners learn fast on it too. I keep it as a loaner now.

I used a TFO 3 wt (8-6) most of last summer - I picked it up at the BP opening, can't remember which specific model but it has flat black blanks and a carbon fibre reel seat - I find it performs and powers well, even in stiff off shore winds on waters such as Hector. Despite the bling bling helios I will still use the TFO on a regular basis.

I haven't had any tips break but I would refer to myself as tip-anoid, so I am very cautious with bigger fish (and trees).

All that said I would guess in most circumstances I would still catch just as many fish with my $80 dragonfly, which was my first rod, but if you want to develop your casting I think the TFO is a good choice IMHO

I'll echo what Ulmo and Fred said about Amundson, absolutely great rod for the price point. When our shop started carrying them, I tested out the Wind Warrior in nasty conditions. The type of day where I saw folks come to the river, try casting for about 10 minutes, then leave. It performed very well. Here is a little review I wrote up:

The Amundson 5wt, 10ft, Wind Warrior is a great introductory rod for individuals who are fishing medium-big water and are looking to spend time nymphing or throwing streamers. The extra foot makes mending line quite easy, however, this extra length also adds some weight and stiffness to the rod from the reel seat to about the second or third guide. Not to worry though, there is plenty of flex in the upper third of the rod making it quite enjoyable when fighting a Bow River brown or rainbow! Although I didn't test it on dry flies, the third of the shaft should provide sufficient flex for presenting a tasty dry fly when the opportunity presents itself, making it a great all-around introductory rod. When working it this fall, I had the opportunity to test it in windy conditions and it proved to slightly outcast my Sage FLi 9ft 6wt, likely due to the extra stiffness and length. Thus, the Wind Warrior truly held up to its name and performed when other anglers gave in to the elements.