Fly Fusion Forums

Chota Boot Repair Question

dryfly

My 4-year-old Chota boot soles have worn down badly--see below. Normally I'd just strip off the old felts and replace them. But the rubber stubs in which the steel cleats are (were) attached seem to be vulcanized to the main rubber sole. I presume a shoe repair shop can cut off the rubber stubs and simply replace the felts and I'd no longer have cleats. I'd like to have cleats.

Anyone know if Chota or ?? sells a repair kit with felts with pre-cut holes in the soles to go over the cleat rubber stubs? That may be irrelevant anyway as I can't see getting the old cleats out as they are worn so badly.

The uppers are pretty decent yet and should be good for a couple of years.

Any help?

Thanks,

Clive

chota.jpg

You can pick up the replacement soles, with the holes, at Wholesale Sports, and possibly some other places. Howevetr, be very careful in which size you get. I got the ones that were labelled for the size of boots I had and they were too big by far. I would up just getting new boots since my old ones were curled up like potato chips from so many wetting and drying cycles. At first I was cranky, but than I reallized I had about 150 trips on them, and I used to be estatic if I could get 100 climbs out of a pair of mountaineering boots. The Chotas are good boots. Good luck with the soles, and take your old boot in with you to compare the replacements.

Thanks flyslinger. Will try WSS on Tuesday.

I was thinking along your lines too. My boots been in the water perhaps 200 to 300 times in 4 years. They own me nothing. One of the lace loops has broken as well and I'll never get new cleats attached.

I'll price the soles and decide what to do. Need good boots for the next four months. If all goes to plan I should get 60 more trips in before October's end. :) And then there is winter fissin'.